Plumb axes and hatchets

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just curious. How many of you have Plumb axes or hatchets? Or any Plumb tools for that matter? Are they as hard to obtain there; the bidding wars on ebay start reasonable enough here but always go to extremes in the final day as they have become quit collectable sinc production ceased (especially the ones with the Boy Scout Fluer de Lis stamped onto the head) That aside from their renowned quality.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Yip i use a plumb hammer and have done for years the best balanced hammer bar none ! and i used to have a plumb axe but that was stolen many years ago and have never seen one like it since!

Jason

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use a Plumb hatchet, got it at a fair for not too many pennies

DSCF7189.jpg

DSCF7188.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nope, that's the helve that was attached when i bought it, still going strong to this day

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yip i use a plumb hammer and have done for years the best balanced hammer bar none ! and i used to have a plumb axe but that was stolen many years ago and have never seen one like it since!

Jason

If you're willing to pay the price they're on ebay here (usually need a new handle though) The double bit I was bidding on sold today for $27 + shipping. I don't know the rules for ebay selling axes there, I only recently learned knives were a no-no.

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
I have a few Plumb axes, hatchets, and hammers. Usually bought at estate sales years ago for a couple bucks. Most of mine in new condition came with a red handle.

Did buy a new hammer off a sales table at the hardware store with a fiberglass handle for $1.50 US. It was in with a bunch of China cheap tools.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a few Plumb axes, hatchets, and hammers. Usually bought at estate sales years ago for a couple bucks. Most of mine in new condition came with a red handle.

Did buy a new hammer off a sales table at the hardware store with a fiberglass handle for $1.50 US. It was in with a bunch of China cheap tools.

You don't by any chance carry a rabbit's foot do you?

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a full-sized plumb axe I've carried in the back of my truck since the mid 70s. I also have a beautiful Plumb double bit in excellent condition as well as several hatchets and a scrubby double bit with a cut-down handle that has seen better days. Plumb made some good axes.

May 8, 2012
Inverness
I buy old Plumb axes and hatchets off eBay and restore them. Great hobby and not that expensive if u buy really knackered ones, they all come up as new anyway and it's more fun trying to get piles of scrap back to a mirrored shine......emphasis on 'trying to' :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE