PLEASE READ; Why we ask that everyone pays using Paypal fees.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paypal.

I think of it as the insurance that if goods I have bought don't arrive, or when they arrive are not the goods I purchased, or arrive damaged, then I have recourse to get my money back.

The forum rules and guidelines are quite specific, and they are for a very good reason; we know that things can, and do, go wrong. Experience has shown that the vast majority of sellers here are absolutely sound, but there's always odd one that doesn't do things they ought.

With regards to selling on BCUK:
Seller will pay Paypal fees.

Paypal are now clearly stating that the seller picks up the 3.4% + 20p fee, buyers pay nothing.

1. We've noticed that some sellers are still asking that the buyer pays the fees.
2. As from 3 April 2013, 00.00 GMT a new rule will come into effect:

When a seller accepts a payment from a buyer using Paypal, he / she will picks up the 3.4% (or any future amended percentage) + 20p (or any future amended amount) fee.

3. Sellers are not allowed to ask the buyers to pay the fees.
4. If a seller acts in breach with this rule, the thread will be removed without any notice: we will NOT be PMing people to explain ourselves, we'll just bin the threads.
5. Re-posting a removed sales thread will also be removed. Infractions may follow.
6. If your sales thread vanishes from the forums: PM a Moderator.

It's up to the seller to include the cost of any fees in their selling price, typically 3.4% + 20p as mentioned. Paypal will always deduct their fees, if you fail to take this into account you won't recover 100% of your asking price. Sometimes this has caused upset and confusion but it's fairly straight forward.e.g Member A wants to sell a billy can for £10, to make sure he's not out of pocket he includes the fees into his price, therefore the selling price he advertises is £10.54 (includes 3.4% + 20p transaction fee)

If a Seller or Maker is asking for the goods to be paid as a gift then Mods may remove the sales threads; the Seller or Maker may have their status revoked or be banned from the forum.

Why am I posting this just now ?
Because undelivered goods problems have reared their ugly heads again :sigh:
Pay the fees; it helps keep everything straight.

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seems totally fair - I prefer it that way (buying and selling). If someone really objects then they needn't accept PayPal at all.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
A timely reminder.
I've had two purchases go south (not on this forum though) and Paypal sorted it quickly and efficiently both times.
People asking for money gifted are usually scammers in my experience. The number of folk who ask for me to pay fees astounds me, I always remind them that it is a breach of Paypal regs which removes my protection and they usually sort it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I assume that PayPal isn't a compulsory payment type yet?

You can list 2 prices if you like, one for normal payments and a slightly higher one for anyone who wishes to pay by Paypal and this price will include the fees that you'll have to pay.

You can use this handy calculator to quickly work out the price you need to ask for for Paypal payments

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I assume that PayPal isn't a compulsory payment type yet?

No Stew, it's not, and I don't think it ever ought to be; but for transactions among folks where there are so many things that can go wrong, from delays, to damage to miscommunication to lost in the post, it really is an insurance. As Angry Pirate says, they refund.

Why did it come up just now ? well, it's not only because of this, but it did rather bring it to mind. One member bought from another, and agreed to send the funds as a Gift. Then half of his order didn't turn up.
Paypal can't help, we can't do anything, and if it's genuinely lost in the post then the seller either ends up with bad rep or is out of pocket for both a replacement and the postage costs, (more since he didn't take out the PO insurance/tracking either) or the buyer has lost out.

Timely reminder. Keep it fair to both parties and cover yourselves just in case.

M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks Mary. I assumed it was the case but wasn't 100℅ clear so thought worth clarifying.

It doenst help that paypal won't refund on certain goods either though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That might be worth noting in the thread please ?

At the end of the day mostly it's a judgement call; I use bank transfers, I rarely use cheques nowadays, but I do use paypal.
I know it's not ideal, and it's an added expense, but for most things, it's simple, straightforward, and it does provide insurance.
It's not a slight on the seller, it's coverage for both on the offchance that things don't go smoothly.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got two last month..... it was a right royal pain in the neck getting them into the bank. The bank in the village has closed and now we're supposed to use the branch in the town, but I'm never near that bit of town.
In the end I paid them into another account in a different bank in the next village.
Next time I'm going to ask those folks to pay me by bank transfer. I was handing the stuff I'd made directly to them after the last fitting, so I knew there was no chance of anything being lost in the post or damaged during delivery.

M

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
You can list 2 prices if you like, one for normal payments and a slightly higher one for anyone who wishes to pay by Paypal and this price will include the fees that you'll have to pay.

You can use this handy calculator to quickly work out the price you need to ask for for Paypal payments
How is that different than Getting the buyer to pay the fees?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Buyer does pay the fees, but in the payment to the Seller; they're then taken off the Seller by paypal.
The calculator just lets everyone work out how much.

M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
How is that different than Getting the buyer to pay the fees?

If the seller wants to receive £20 to their account they need to charge £20 plus P&P plus the PP fees. You can't ask a buyer to pay the fees, it's for the seller to alter the cost or, otherwise, absorb any charge PayPal make.

Same with a cheque ~ the account I have charges for cashing a cheque. So if I wanted to accept a cheque for a sale and keep the full amount I needed I'd need to adjust the price I sell it at ;) .

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Where does it say that Paypal won't refund on knives Stew?

It doesn't specifically say all knives, just about weapons. Mikesknives on BB has certainly had a dispute where they have just said that £200 worth of knives were weapons and no refund. I don't know the specific knife/knives but I doubt Mike would be a naughty boy about such stuff!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There used to be an option for the buyer to pay the fees on Paypal when sending a payment, but it was never consistent, sometimes it depended on where the funds were coming from and how Paypal was linked to your bank account or credit card. That buyer option has now been removed, it will always be the seller who pays the fees during the transaction which is what we're trying to highlight. Therefore it's pointless asking the buyer to pay the fees because it's no longer an option, the seller should allow for the fees in their asking price otherwise they will be out of pocket, or rather they won't receive 100% of the price they asked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE