Please Id these two trees/shrubs and a little plant.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I went on a ramble through my local forest today and I thought I'd have a go at identifying the plants and trees I came across. I got most of them but these below have stumped me completely, I'm hoping that some one on here can help me.

Unknown_tree_2.jpg

I haven't a clue what this could be.

Unknown_tree_1.jpg

This one has a very similar trunk to the other one but the leaves are completely different.

Unknown_plant_1.jpg

This little plant seems to be everywhere in the forest, I'm thinking that it may be from the mallow family but it's very small, the flower is a little smaller than a 10 pence coin.

Thank you for looking.

Ps these were found in pine/spruce/beech/birch/oak/hawthorn forest

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Thank you Geoff, I think you may be right. I've had a look on google and it seems to be the same.

I have a few more that I had trouble identifying...

Unknown_plant_4.jpg

These leaves were covered in mud from the floods. The were very large, roughly 7"-8" at the largest, there was no visible flower and they were quite flat to the ground.

Unknown_plant_2.jpg

I have no clue!

Unknown_plant_3.jpg

I think this may be some form of plantain but I don't know, I can't find it in any of my books

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Tis indeed herb robert, then you have what looks like coltsfoot, then st johns wort (imperforate), then greater plantain...Sorry not sure on the trees.....

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It's horrible to see a plant/tree/shrub and not know what it is, I find it very frustrating. Thank you for helping.

In regard to the Herb Robert, I found this page: Herb Robert & Cancer
I was astounded by the stories (scroll down about half way) and the properties of this little plant, I'm going to have to get some into the garden!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
It's horrible to see a plant/tree/shrub and not know what it is, I find it very frustrating. Thank you for helping.

In regard to the Herb Robert, I found this page: Herb Robert & Cancer
I was astounded by the stories (scroll down about half way) and the properties of this little plant, I'm going to have to get some into the garden!

Thanks for that link, I knew there were some good things about the plant, but couldn't remember what....I would advise not to get it in your garden though, it stinks and you will end up with it everywhere. Its also poisonous....Very common plant and easy to find in most places though, so you shouldn't need to put it in your garden....Check out that st johns wort, that is a useful plant....Actually, so is plantain, ands coltsfoot...

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
the trees are willow the top is definatley goat willow looking. the plantain is plantago major.

Simon.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'll check out the st johns wort, although that was the only specimen I found on my bimble today, I'll keep an eye out for some more when I go again. I have that plantain plant in my front lawn, I'll look it up, if it proves usefull I'll stop digging it up :lol:

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice one Michelle I never knew it had so many uses, all in all its a prety usefull plant.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE