Please advise a good shoe for driving, greenlaning and in/ around a car based camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
The very comfortable and sturdy shoes I have used for driving fairly long distances , being in and out of the car when greenlaning and around wild camp sites (but vehicle based) have finally fallen apart.

I need somrthing that will be comfortable for driving so definitely NOT a walking boot and probably not a cross-trainer type but it also needs to be strong enough to protect my feet in and around camps.

Any recommendations guys please?

What shoe have you found and use for a general all-purpose shoe?

TIA

Best Wishes
David

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
How about a higher cut shoe like Salomon Fastpacker Mid or Keen Targhee II ?

Many thanks for the input - much appreciated.

I've just googled the 'Salomon Fastpacker Mid' and I suspect they may come too far up the ankle to be comfortable driving long distances.

Some of the Mephistos look good - albeit a little pricey.

Any further suggestions?

Best Wishes
David

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
<£20 Karrimor KSB's from Sports Direct or get another pair of your old ones.

I wish I could. They were from Marks & Sparks of all places and I've had them patched up several times now but they're pretty much past repair.

The Grisport Modena looks very attractive and is outwardly similar to the shoes I'm about to chuck out. Anyone have any experience with this particular model?

Best Wishes
Dvaid

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
dunlop-green-flash-original-classic-retro-vintage-lace-up-white-trainers-1.jpg

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
The very comfortable and sturdy shoes I have used for driving fairly long distances

Not too much shoe for that. Bearing in mind what else you're using it for you may not want to go too light, but honestly most shoes are too heavy and clumsy and badly engineered to boot. Researchers in the area are now saying people's footwear is the major cause of foot problems and the people with the healthiest feet are tribespeople who've never worn them.

Most shoes have heels, which interfere with gait when walking -- really a heel-less shoe like an old-time Redskin moccasin is better for the foot. Most are also too narrow, too heavy, too inflexible, have too much "toe spring" (to compensate for the inflexibility), and, incredibly, are made on misshapen lasts.

Here's why they're bad in detail:

http://nwfootankle.com/files/rossiWhyShoesMakeNormalGaitImpossible.pdf

People are becoming aware of the problems and there's a kind of movement towards "minimalist" shoes, particularly for kids. A few companies offer something of the sort. About the easiest to get hold of in the UK are Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot:

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens.html/

You sometimes get end-of-line ones knocked down to about half-price on Amazon. The sizing is done in Continental, which is a piece of foolishness, but I guess in line with the company's podiatric seriousness, since the international Podiatry Association demands that for it to approve a range of shoes. The conversions seem a bit off to me, and I always buy one size bigger than what they say the British size is.

But for me this is probably about the best you'd get for driving -- or walking. And that's simply because they don't interfere with your feet or your natural gait as much as "conventional" shoes do. I throw away the insoles as well, so that I can really feel the ground. The soles are an extremely flexible thin 3mm but pretty much puncture-proof -- and staggeringly wear-resistent -- as they're made from kevlar.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank you so much everyone for your input and taking the time to reply. It's been a big help.

Gagnrad - maybe it's time for a rethink. I've had problems with my right knee for a few years now. The kids' wii-fit suggests that my centre of gravity is off and that I lean too much to one side.

I've got various combinations of walking shoes which I can use in camp and very light boat shoes that I can use for driving. It's an inconvenience to keep changing in and out of things but I can cope with inconvenience whilst I research things in a little more detail.

As a matter of interest, how long have you been using the Vivo barefoot shoes - did you get the slip-ons or the lace-ups. Do you wear them barefoot or with light socks?

Many thanks again.

Best Wishes
David

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Crocs, I do everything in them come summer, mines may come close to have traveled around the globe soon lol

The only problem is cold toes if you have the AC blowing towards your feet :-D

Good pair of waterpoof deck shoes is he answer, mines are ruined after a high speed scateboard accident at last years childrens galaday, skint knee elbow and side have all recovered ok though lol

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I have a pair of, I think Austrian, army surplus boots. Well worn when I bought them, but they are the dogs danglies. Very well padded around the heel and ankle giving plenty of support. I can wear them all day without my feet aching and driving in them is no problem. They've relegated my German boots to second favourite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE