Playing with the Pups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I have to admit to liking playing with ideas. Sometimes one idea's look-see will see you off on a tangent elsewhere :D .

One idea tangent had turned up something the user(s) termed a Von Reck Shelter ~ original idea found here. It utilises four shelter halves formed into a square and is intended for use in cold dry conditions. I had an hour or so to play in. It was mostly positive! :D

... not much cover or protection from wet! :yikes: But from the outset I'd looked at the idea with an eye to using it under a tree rigged tarp :D

But then, I thought, if you were to fasten two together along the ridge line (which is a form of Pup Tent, and how they're usually seen/used) and cock the appropriate pup leg ...

Almost Whelan Shelter-esque ... with a compound :lmao: :eek:

This is far from perfect ~ but as it says towards the top, it was a quick play to check the feasibility of the idea ... and then the tangent went off on its own tangent.
Anyway, the apex pole needs to be longer (it could also be tied to a bough or tree trunk) and the canopy would sit better at the sides if I'd guyed it further out instead of lazily using the mid point stake. The same is probably true of the front edge guying point ~ but additional height and width might also make the need for guying it redundant. but for one simple thing I'd have tried the canopy over the four sided Von Reck ... I only have the four sides! :eek: Oh, and if leaving the front bit open, the guys need to be vee'd! ;)

It's not the light option ~ A Meet or base/car camp option only. By the way, the ridge line is 5' 8" and the poles are roughly 39" from base to base of spike ... so a chunk of usable space to use.

And a harvested pic of a set up utilising with six sides ...

dscn2162.jpg

Pic credit: https://sbtactical.wordpress.com/2014/12/

Thanks for taking the time to look, hopefully it's of use/interest/amusement to someone :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think it has promise ~ but for entry/exit in the four sided version you need to be either nimble or very, very short! ;) :rofl: . The site I found it on demonstrates it being entered/exited via a dediated corner but I think for my purposes and as a full size, non tactical, user I think rolling up an entire side would make life a bit easier ;) .

I'd even wondered whether the zeltbahn type shelter triangles might teepee up un the top ~ but it looks like the dimensions and button/button hole spacings are all incompatible :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE