Playing with some Traps

THESE TRAPS CAN BE DEADLY AND ARE ILLEGAL IN MANY PLACES INCLUDING THE UK. THESE TRAPS WERE NOT & WILL NOT BE USED FOR ANIMALS BUT AS AN EXPERIMENT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WORK.

Thats the disclaimer out the way.

I decided to have a play today at making a few traps. As mentioned above they were just done for the "try it out and see how they work" kind of thing and were not used for actual trapping.

I mainly got the ideas from reading Graves' section on traps.
http://chrismolloy.com/www/p139

And:
http://www.i4at.org/surv/traps.htm

I found some pieces of wood on a wander this morning that would be ideal and I had a springy ash branch that was chopped off a tree last year by the council and used that as the "springy sapling"

Baited Whip Snare

2011-04-30 11.40.44 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

2011-04-30 11.40.57 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

Changed it to a weight instead of a whippy stick.

2011-04-30 11.32.12 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

Tried the Hook and Spring Pole Snare.....attached to the top toggle would be the snare which would pull the cirtter up.
I found this a bit tight to trigger but I guess with a snare attached it would work once there is weight pulling on it.

209348_10150167695887979_611672978_6816781_1771480_o by pandabean2010, on Flickr

218870_10150167695952979_611672978_6816782_6936930_o by pandabean2010, on Flickr

No bottles were harmed in the making of these pictures. :eek:

Last edited:

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I find these quite therapeutic to make when I'm out, add the figure 4 deadfall to it too, far more satisfying than a spoon!

Nice work :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They look good.
Here's a pic of another trigger to try. Hopefully it's clear enough - theres the loop and a pin.

P4270035.jpg
[/IMG]

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Bushwhacker,
I've not seen that style of trigger before, is there a knot in the standing part - around which the loop catches before the pin is inserted? It looks like its made out of "farmers friend" - of which there is plenty around here!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hey Bushwhacker,
I've not seen that style of trigger before, is there a knot in the standing part - around which the loop catches before the pin is inserted?

That's pretty much it.
The cordage is the inner bark of a jungle tree, which we called 'The Stevie Wonder' tree due to it's braille like outer bark, it was a good name for remembering it, don't know what the real name was, don't think the amerindians knew either.

Pretty feeble attempt at the bow trap. The bow was too thin and bent after a few test firings. Obviously the line isnlt lined up properly but it should be in front of the trap.

Based on the Bow Trap in Richard Graves book...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismolloy/5270320322/
http://chrismolloy.com/www/p139

241230_10150174621227979_611672978_6890196_2821284_o by pandabean2010, on Flickr

I also tried the fig-4 trap today, first time in a long while for making one but I couldnt get it to sit right. Perhaps I might try again when I am next out in the woods.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's another bow trap trigger mechanism.
I also reckon it's simpler to put a split in the posts holding the bow and wedge the bow into the splits rather than tying it on.

P4270032.jpg

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
the thing I dont understand people study traps, but not trapping. What I mean they go out of the way to skill themselves at traps but dont know anything about animals habits. a well made trap in the wrong area is pointless. How many videos I see for raccons and opposums set in trees and backyards, when in reality they need to be on a river bottom or creek bottom with a source of fish, crayfish, calms, oysters, etc. dug into a bank placing the bait inside, then building a wall of debris, to force animal to go into the trap. the list goes on and on, but I believe traps are not really the issue as studying real trappers and watchwhat they are doing. I use common rabbit snares in fences, you can snare deer on tied fences as well. as they will natirally walk over tied down fence over jumping a fence. Use the Promontory Peg Dead fall from mice to bear. The burrow log snare, which is a 'Y' stick in ground with large heavy log balanced on Y and then tips of log under other T stake, the log has a stick over burrow the animal pushes out of way setting snare around neck, and pushing log up fast, choking animal. A African Bird snare is good, and Objiwa Bird Snare. it reality that is all you need, if placed right, in the right spot. Not being negative, but I just see so many people focused on traps, but not the art of trapping.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@ Pandabean & @ Bushwaker those look cool thanks for sharing them with us

@ Leahcim I think those traps may have been set up that way for training and demonstration purposes

I don't think he's commenting on the individual traps in the photos per se. I think he's referring to the lack of threads discussing trapping as such. Most of the threads I've seen are indeed about the traps rather than trapping. I enjoy them and had never noticed until now but he's right; there are no tutorial threads on trapping (placement and baiting skills)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE