Platform for carving in the woods?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
What platform would one carve on in the woods if one didn't have enough space for something like a small table? I reckon I can find a stump somewhere, but on the off chance a stump wouldn't be suitable, perhaps because it's rotten, what could I use?

Thank you.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What is it that you're intending to carve that needs to be rested on a platform? The reason that I ask is that although I do sometimes use a platform of some description to help support the workpiece I can't really think of anything that I need a platform for, a change of technique to one that doesn't need a platform to rest the work on has always worked for me.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If you are in the woods there is always a fallen tree or branch you can use, just learn to identify and use what is around you, that's what Bushcraft is all about.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
If you are in the woods there is always a fallen tree or branch you can use, just learn to identify and use what is around you, that's what Bushcraft is all about.
I understand that... I was asking about a platform on which I could carve to keep my work piece steady. I use a large stump at home.

Stu, I guess I can just kneel down and use the ground? I'm sure that'd be fine.

Edit: Maybe you're misinterpreting what I'm asking. Carving with a knife is easy as you can hold the work in your hands. I'm asking how to go about carving without a platform using an axe.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I understand that... I was asking about a platform on which I could carve to keep my work piece steady. I use a large stump at home.

That's exactly what i was saying, you can use the side of a fallen tree or branch to hold the work piece against, when im out and about with a couple of mates we all sorts of things as a chopping block/work steady, from a stump, to the side of a fallen tree or even a couple of branches laid on the ground to keep the axe out of the earth.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
That's exactly what i was saying, you can use the side of a fallen tree or branch to hold the work piece against, when im out and about with a couple of mates we all sorts of things as a chopping block/work steady, from a stump, to the side of a fallen tree or even a couple of branches laid on the ground to keep the axe out of the earth.
I misinterpreted what you said about identification, that's all.

Thanks, Kepis. Some good ideas there.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...Stu, I guess I can just kneel down and use the ground? I'm sure that'd be fine.

Edit: Maybe you're misinterpreting what I'm asking. Carving with a knife is easy as you can hold the work in your hands. I'm asking how to go about carving without a platform using an axe.

As Kepis suggests, a fallen tree, a couple of branches, a stump.....all those things work well, you're limited only by your imagination on this one. All you need is something to stop the thing that you're working on from sinking into the ground and to stop the axe from hitting the floor if you're in the habit of cutting on past the end of the workpiece........so just work out things that would fit that profile; pieces of bark, big heaps of shavings, CCF roll mats, frozen sheep, etc.

HTH

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE