Plastic insert for leather sheath

Intothewoods

Jun 23, 2024
Scotland
Just bust a Casstrom knife that I'm very happy with. Only issue is the leather sheath doesn't have a plastic insert inside for the blade, which I'm a fan of.

Anyone added an insert in or have any advice where to get one from?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Just bust a Casstrom knife that I'm very happy with. Only issue is the leather sheath doesn't have a plastic insert inside for the blade, which I'm a fan of.

Anyone added an insert in or have any advice where to get one from?

I have found on some sheaths the plastic liner can sometimes dull the blade if it catches when removing the knife.

I wet-formed the leather sheath for my casstrom lars falt along with a few others on the weekend and the fit is 100% better and I would recommend giving it a try

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
“Bust” as in broken? Typo?
Not a fan of plastic inserts. Have removed from Spyderco sheaths.

To make your own, I would suggest ABS plastic, say from a Floplast https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solvent-weld-waste-pipe-white-40mm-x-3m/44310
Wrap blade in 4 layers of masking tape. Use hot air paint stripper to heat. Flatten around blade with spine tight against a fold. 2xBoots cotton gloves good heat protection. Cut out around blade. Weld cut edges. Local heat to flare opening for easier blade insertion.

Relies on there being enough extra space in the sheath….which there might not be. Can test for space with bits of cereal box card. May need long pliers or forcepts to extract card.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE