Plastic bottle for meths

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just wandering if anyone knows what grade of plastic is best for keeping meths in?

Hdpi etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not for certain but you might try the empty bottle the rubbing alcohol from the drugstore comes in.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Been using fruit shoot bottles for yonks with no effect on the bottle.. PET, or Polyethylene terephthalate

Available from small children or bins :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Cheers chaps :) just going to order some "samples" of a small flip top bottle :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000AR79...nd=2035289354366830092&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

The safety valve makes pouring spill free, they come in different sizes and only a couple of quid more for the 1 litre versions. These are tough bottles and will take some hefty knocks before they damage. Nothing wrong with the likes of the meths bottle it came in or a fruit shoot bottle but.... they won't take the knocks like the Fuel bottle and the safety valve works very well.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blimey Richard - 11 notes for a bottle?

Screw top antifreeze or screenwash bottles - and get some free screenwash!

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I've used the small fizzy drinks bottles (to decant from bigger containers), and although having nowhere near the utility or durability of the Trangia bottles that Richard links to, they are basically free(50p including the dodgy contents?) and surprisingly robust and leak free.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000AR79...nd=2035289354366830092&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

The safety valve makes pouring spill free, they come in different sizes and only a couple of quid more for the 1 litre versions. These are tough bottles and will take some hefty knocks before they damage. Nothing wrong with the likes of the meths bottle it came in or a fruit shoot bottle but.... they won't take the knocks like the Fuel bottle and the safety valve works very well.

I've been using one of those for a couple of years, bit expensive but as Rik said they will take a lot of knocks. A very solid bottle and the safety valve makes pouring easier.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can get 500ml and smaller....

I've used urine smaple containers before now - just right for a single Trangia full - free from the quack too). Shampoo bottles, sauce bottles - heck most houses throw out a few plastic containers each week from the bathroom, kitchen, garage and workshop....

Whatever size you need there will be something!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Just a thought.....I use empty chain lube containers to carry small amounts of alcohol with me. Stop by your local bike shop and ask if they can save you a few to try.....

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

+1, worth the money i'v been using the same one for at least five years and it seems to be pretty bullet proof :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can get 500ml and smaller....

I've used urine smaple containers before now - just right for a single Trangia full - free from the quack too). Shampoo bottles, sauce bottles - heck most houses throw out a few plastic containers each week from the bathroom, kitchen, garage and workshop....

Whatever size you need there will be something!

That's different. Anti-freeze only comes in gallons over here and washer fluid in gallon or half gallon.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I *think* the Trangia bottle comes in 300 ml and up (just checked at Trangias website: 300, 500 and 1000 ml). The smallest one would be perfect for a weekend, a 500 is perhaps a better choice unless you are chasing grams (only 20 g more for the larger bottle): it would last a long weekend if carefull, and give you a good margin for a normal one.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I *think* the Trangia bottle comes in 300 ml and up (just checked at Trangias website: 300, 500 and 1000 ml). The smallest one would be perfect for a weekend, a 500 is perhaps a better choice unless you are chasing grams (only 20 g more for the larger bottle): it would last a long weekend if carefull, and give you a good margin for a normal one.

The meths is just a backup for the hobo stove really, thanks I'll check out the 300ml version :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE