plant ID

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Been trying to find out what this is called without any luck, any ideas please?

I had a look at one site but it would take a month going through it all.

illyflower.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
On limited info, it looks like ground elder...

But it's also very similar to a lot of carrot family. Hence the need for leaves... and if it's carrot family a whole load of other info, I can't definitively tell them appart from pictures...

I'm so unhelpful! sorry :eek:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Sorry, I took just two pics, here's the other one, they were growing at the side of a path, over a metre high.

illyflower2.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Maybe search google images for pics and see which the leaves it had are the closest match for... I'd suggest ground elder, common hogweed and cow parsley as good potential starting points...

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Opal,it is an Umbellifer,but which is hard to say,without a photo of the leaves,stalk etc.The Umbellifers are a family that have a lot of similar looking plants,so you need a bit more info to narrow it down to get a possible id.

Plus as you probably already know there are a few very poisonous species of Umbellifers,so caution should be the order of the day,if you are playing with these plants.

Cheers Stuart.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi Opal,it is an Umbellifer,but which is hard to say,without a photo of the leaves,stalk etc.The Umbellifers are a family that have a lot of similar looking plants,so you need a bit more info to narrow it down to get a possible id.

Plus as you probably already know there are a few very poisonous species of Umbellifers,so caution should be the order of the day,if you are playing with these plants.

Cheers Stuart.

and Umbellifer = Carrot family :D

Can never type that word, the temptation to add an 'r' and make it umbrellifer is just too great! :lmao:

Opal, I think few people would be happy to give an ID based on a photo, just because of the potential risks, Hemlock poisoning is not the best end to a day out!

I'll happily pick away at hogweed and ground elder, as their leaves are so distinctive, but I steer clear of the rest...

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Cheers all, this was down in Somerset the other day, I'll be down there again in July so will do a proper job of pics.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
It's all good :)

I've just seen where you're from Stuart, and it's made me all drooly... My family live in Morebattle, and we always take a detour through Hawick on the way back to stock up on the BEST Haggis and Black pud. Mmmmmmm!! Lucky devil you ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE