Plant ID

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I went to a different part of the pond today a mound about 2 feet higher than the surrounding reeds and bullrush had a big pile of these on it. Any clues?
It looked like parsley but was a lot bigger, the stems in the pic are about an 3/4 inch.
22042009016.jpg

22042009017.jpg

Also is this dead nettle?
22042009019.jpg

Thanks In anticipation.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Toddy- bloody hell, glad I didnt try any of that top one. I always thought that hemlock was more "frilly" and "feathery" the one above was shiny and waxy.

Thanks Red for the Nettle one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is when it gets hard to id from a photo.
I know the HWD as shaped like a kind of inside a celery stem with red flushes over the junctions of the stems. I don't think I've ever seen it in flower, though I know that they are button shaped on a spread head.
"Hemlock Water Dropwort is a member of the Umbellifera family but is distinctive because of its broader leaves and its narrow flowering period during June/July. " and, " The leaves are dark green and look very similar to Italian flat-leaved parsley with a distinctive celery or parsley smell. "
according to Monsanto
http://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/conten...Aquatic%20use/Hemlock Water Dropwort.mspx

I could well be mistaken, hopefully someone else who is more familiar with the plant than I am will be along to comment,

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE