Plant ID

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Can anyone tell me what this is.
Was growing in the woods today.
No leaves just the stem and pods full of small white seeds.

a6ezuza3.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
well again i have learned something new.
Did not know Bluebells did this, i thought they had bulbs...........

Thanks guys

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do, but those seed pods will ripen, dry out like little paper cups and will scatter the seeds (which will be black by then) in any wind.
It's a good way to self seed a new bluebell wood too :) Those stems will pull up cleanly from the bulbs and you can simply shake them over where you want new ones to grow.
They'll need a hard cold before they'll sprout though, but by next spring they'll grow like wee thin onions. The next year they'll be bigger and the next again they'll flower :D and just get better thereafter.
Depends on how much light and moisture they get really whether it's two, three or four years to flowering.
They self seed in every nook and cranny in the garden, that's how I know to pull the seed heads; I did them yesterday :) and sowed them in a patch of the burnside that neighbours use to dump grass cuttings. I reckon bluebells would look good there :D
These ones are really the wild hyacinth, our bluebell is the harebell.

cheers,
Toddy

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
OOhhh i may harvest a few pods when they ripen a bit then.
Would fill a few holes in the garden quite nicely.

Thanks for the help

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best bit is that there're so many seeds, they'll never all get a chance to grow, you're not disturbing or digging up bulbs, just gathering a few seeds to scatter elsewhere. It's all good :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE