Plant ID please

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Is this the Hawthorne and its berries?
and are the berries edible?

sorry- first time I've picked those in the hope they might make jam.
If these are edible, any recipes or 'how to cook' would be appreciated :)
thank you
plant1.jpg
berries.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice haul :D

Sloes .......take an empty bottle, pick over the sloes, removing any grotty ones, bits of leaves and twig, etc.
If they're clean I usually don't do anything else to them before using them.
They really need to have their skins opened someway or other so that the goodness comes out into the alcohol more easily.
Some folks freeze them and then use them, others ***** them with a fork, some bash them a little bit with a meat tenderiser, I run a grater over a handful of them at a time when I've got them laid out on a board that I don't mind getting a bit stained.

Half fill the bottle with sloes, (jars work fine too) then add sugar (I like soft brown caster) until it 'just' covers the fruits. (this is the bit where some weigh it out, some add an awful lot more, it's up to yourself really, the aim is to make a liqueur not a syrup though) Now fill the bottle or jar with gin or whisky. I've tried using really good gin and the cheapest stuff from Lidl's. Same with the whisky. It all works very well. Maybe try the cheaper stuff for a first time, see if you like the sloe gin/whisky ? Leave two or three cms clear at the top, and put the lid on tightly.
Leave the bottle where you see it, mine sits beside the kitchen sink, and everytime you pass give it a good shake.
When you're fed up looking at it, usually two or three weeks I find, put it in a cupboard and leave it in peace. When you mind it's there, go and give it another shake but it's only really to make sure the sugar is all dissolved and the fruit is in contact with the alcohol. If you do it now, by Christmas it can be strained, Easter time might be better, but it'll still be good stuff :D
Depending on how it tastes you can top up the strained bottle with more gin or whisky, add more sugar ( I add some of the syrup from the big jar of stem ginger) herbs, etc..
If you have adjusted it, it will need left to settle a bit longer, then strain again and finally bottle.

It's a very mellow, sipping drink I find :)

I'm not fond of the used up sloes but lots of people enthuse about them, especially added to chocolate.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nice haul :D
They really need to have their skins opened someway or other so that the goodness comes out into the alcohol more easily.
Some folks freeze them and then use them, others ***** them with a fork, some bash them a little bit with a meat tenderiser, I run a grater over a handful of them at a time when I've got them laid out on a board that I don't mind getting a bit stained.
cheers,
Toddy

I might've said this before, but an old wire brush is good for patting them with in order to pierce the skins.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a neat idea :D
The poundstores sell them in packs of three. I might get in a pack just for the sloes :cool:

I ususally strain first through a fine sieve into a bowl. That takes out all the fruit and stones.
Then I pour that back into the bottle and clean out the sieve and the bowl. I line the clean sieve with a rounded off sheet of kitchen towel and strain again from the bottle to the bowl. It takes times but it leaves a clean shiny liquid.
If you make wine I suppose you could use the wine cleaning and polishing stuff, but sloe gin and whisky is a very 'home made' kind of drink :cool: and this method works fine.
Funny though, I'm not fond of the commercial sloe gin or whisky at all, yet this stuff is very pleasant.

Before anyone starts, my doctor classifies me as a non drinker, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask about educated booze tastes :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE