Plant ID help needed

I found this plant the other day , I thought it was a raspberry at first the fruit is the same I tasted one which tasted nice and sweet ( didn't eat it ) so I took a sample to look up at home , when i looked up raspberry and strawberry it matches neither but is somewhere in between ? the stems are very hairy and the fruit is a very vivid red colour here is a picture , anyone know what it is please :)
berry.jpg

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
No idea I'm afraid as plant id is not my forté, but tasting first and then asking for id is a bit risky isn't it? Singeblaster? Singeblaster? You still with us? :)

*Wild stab in the dark - could it be some variety of domestic raspberry gone feral? The fruit's not very clear, do they look like raspberries? Did you find them somewhere that could be an overgrown fruit garden or similar?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The cloudberry loses it's colour as it ripens, guess the one above is not truly ripe, i was looking at the leaf shape and veins in it.

This is a picture of an unripe cloudberry from Wikpedia

Rubus_chamaemorus.jpg

I have no idea what type of soil it is growing in , its dark brown blackish so it could be a bit peat like and we are surrounded by peat up towards Glossop. its growing next to the Canal in a lightly wooded area and has spread along the floor I suppose its about a foot up from the ground , I will take a picture of the whole thing in situ and get a better pic of the fruit that one didn't survive the trip home in my pocket :)
As for tasting the fruit programs i have seen suggest you rub the plant on the inside of your lip to test for reaction to it , I just dabbed the end of my tongue on the juice to see if it was raspberry.
Thanks for the replies guys I am going out now so I will take the camera with me this time.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stuart f said:
Hi all i did a bit of searching and i think it is RUBUS TRICOLOR. Take a look at this http://www.nireland.com/Beech.Grove/Rubus_tricolor.jpg ,and it is edibile.

I found some today in the strangest of places, Cosco's car park on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Apparently it makes good ground cover on difficult soils.
Never come across it, or even heard of it. Well done Stuart, it looks right, comparing the photo's..........

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I stand corrected, nice one Stuart F.

Never heard of RUBUS TRICOLOR, couldn't get me a hand full of cuttings could you, got the perfect place to put a load of that

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
maver said:
I stand corrected, nice one Stuart F.

Never heard of RUBUS TRICOLOR, couldn't get me a hand full of cuttings could you, got the perfect place to put a load of that

Hi Maver, it could be a bit off a problem as the plant is right outside Cosco's front door,and i would imagine that they would a wee bit pi :AR15firin d off if i turned up with shovel in hand and acting like Percy Thrower :D . But if i do come upon it elsewhere i will surly send you some.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
stuart f said:
Hi all i did a bit of searching and i think it is RUBUS TRICOLOR. Take a look at this http://www.nireland.com/Beech.Grove/Rubus_tricolor.jpg ,and it is edible.

I found some today in the strangest of places, Cosco's car park on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Apparently it makes good ground cover on difficult soils.
Yes, well spotted Stuart ;) I have specified many of those over the years, especially good as a groundcover plant in semi-shady areas. They are native of Western China, and the berries are fine to eat, especially with the decent summer heat you had in the UK. The are the same Rubus sp. family as blackberries and raspberries, cloudberries etc.

The one you found was probably a garden escape or the remainder of some landscape planting, long since overgrown.

You would be surprised by the amount of edible plants amongst the pretty landscape shrubs. PFAF have a nice article on the more useful here;

PFAF - Edible Shrubs

Things like barberries, strawberry tree (Arbutus unendo), ornamental quince, Amelanchiers, walnut, mulberry and of course plenty of native roses for hips in the Autumn... it's a long list. Just right for some urban bushcraft :)

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
This is going to sound unbelievably nerdy, but is Rubus tricolor a new name for Rubus saxatilis (stone bramble)?

The reason I ask is that I've checked two books so far and neither list R tricolor, but R saxatilis is a good match for the photo.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think its Cloudberry,Rubus chamaemorus.Its quite common around here in NE Scotland. Its usually found on fairly damp moorland where there is a mixture of heather and sphagnum moss. The flower is white in the spring and the fruit turns from bright red to a deep orange as it ripens. The old Scots word for it is Averons and there are quite a few Averons hill, or the like, in Scotland. I think the Swedish call it Lingonberry and you can buy a really nice drink made from it in Ikea! The Danish also make a super liquer of the same thing.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Ben_Hillwalker said:
This is going to sound unbelievably nerdy, but is Rubus tricolor a new name for Rubus saxatilis (stone bramble)?

The reason I ask is that I've checked two books so far and neither list R tricolor, but R saxatilis is a good match for the photo.

Nah, Rubus tricolor = Chinese Bramble

Looks a good match for it.

It's not stone bramble as this has three separate leaflets (ternate) and It ain't cloudberry which has more distictly lobed leaves, doesn't have those brown bristles and the sepals are too big (see maver's pic).

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
stuart f said:
Hi Maver, it could be a bit off a problem as the plant is right outside Cosco's front door,and i would imagine that they would a wee bit pi :AR15firin d off if i turned up with shovel in hand and acting like Percy Thrower :D . But if i do come upon it elsewhere i will surly send you some.

Cheers mate, just do what my old man used to if he wanted cuttings, he would kneel down and pretend to tie his shoe lace, whilst taking cuttings at the same time :D :D :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE