Plant I.D, Weld, Reseda luteola

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
"A common weed in North America Reseda luteola grows best in well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soils, in a sunny or semi-shaded position. A high-quality yellow dye is made from the seed. Mixed with the blue from woad (Isatis tinctoria) it produces greens such as Lincoln green. It has fallen into disuse with modern chemical dyes. Reseda luteola also has mild narcotic medicinal uses. Common names include dyer's rocket, dyer's weed, weld, woold, and yellow weed."

Out of interest , are we allowed to discuss this part? For purely educational purposes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't see why not. We talked about not sleeping under a Yew tree because folks have truly weird dreams, and we know that some of the hearth herbs are used as tobaccos and those can have gentle mind effects. Mugwort comes to mind.

Honestly, I'd never heard that weld was used as a mild narcotic until very recently, and I've been using it for nearly forty years as a dye. I boil it up, and I have never felt 'odd' while doing so.
Right enough, I don't drink the dye liquor ! :)
Cherry bark boiling up stinks of bitter almonds...cyanide.....do it outdoors !

Historically there are many plants that were used medicinally that we now know are really not good for us. Rue for instance, Tansy, etc.,
Doesn't mean it's not knowledge.

Reactions: TeeDee

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't see why not. We talked about not sleeping under a Yew tree because folks have truly weird dreams, and we know that some of the hearth herbs are used as tobaccos and those can have gentle mind effects. Mugwort comes to mind.

Honestly, I'd never heard that weld was used as a mild narcotic until very recently, and I've been using it for nearly forty years as a dye. I boil it up, and I have never felt 'odd' while doing so.
Right enough, I don't drink the dye liquor ! :)
Cherry bark boiling up stinks of bitter almonds...cyanide.....do it outdoors !

Historically there are many plants that were used medicinally that we now know are really not good for us. Rue for instance, Tansy, etc.,
Doesn't mean it's not knowledge.
@TeeDee, Plantnet is an excellent app for photographing and identifying plants. Though, if you’d used it, this topic might not have been discussed. I found Belladonna the other day, a strange looking plant in its location amongst Yew trees no less. Didn’t post as I had the answer.

IMG_4850.jpeg

Wonderfully off topic as usual, I’ve often wondered about the significance of the Yew in churchyards. Obviously there’s an association with longevity and probably wisdom, but it’s also possible the folklore of the strange dreams might be linked to astral travel and aiding the dead on their way? The wise sayers (witches and sages) used Belladonna, Mandrake and other plants and fungi for divination and astral travel. It’s an interesting topic, @Broch is the man here who has a good knowledge of plant use.

Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
@TeeDee, Plantnet is an excellent app for photographing and identifying plants. Though, if you’d used it, this topic might not have been discussed. I found Belladonna the other day, a strange looking plant in its location amongst Yew trees no less. Didn’t post as I had the answer.

View attachment 88869

Wonderfully off topic as usual, I’ve often wondered about the significance of the Yew in churchyards. Obviously there’s an association with longevity and probably wisdom, but it’s also possible the folklore of the strange dreams might be linked to astral travel and aiding the dead on their way? The wise sayers (witches and sages) used Belladonna, Mandrake and other plants and fungi for divination and astral travel. It’s an interesting topic, @Broch is the man here who has a good knowledge of plant use.

Interesting stuff and yes you are right , ref the app vs sharing the info here.

So , And don't go reading too much into this - anyone know which part of Weld has the stated narco qualities and how its prepared? infusion drunk , leaves smoked , rubbed on the soft inner of your thigh etc - honestly just interested in the theory not the actual application ( officer )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It doesn't even get a mention in Essential Substances.
It's native in Europe, and it's not in Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals, either (that's a very reputable herbal; no mince, iimmc ? ) or the Medicinal Forest Garden Handbook.

Culpepper, writing in the earlr 1500's said that it was a common weed, growing everywhere along roadsides. He said of it, " The root cures tough phlegm, digests raw phlegm, thins gross humours, dissolves hard tumours, and opens strictures. It is commended against venemous bites, to be taken inwardly and applied outwardly to the hurt place, as also for the plague or pestilence".

I would doubt the provenance of the American claim that it has 'mild narcotic medicinal uses', and would like to see the evidence.

You'd be better growing poppies and using the straw I reckon.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

View attachment 88869

Historically I know that Yew was a vitally important timber for longbows....and that it is toxic for animals to browse.
Growing in churchyards it wasn't browsed, and it was left in peace after coppicing for bow lengths.
It is incredibly long lived, the one in Fortingal is at least as old as the Roman empire and might well be thousands older. The heart dies out and the tree spreads, so dating becomes a little subjective. It could be only 3,000 years old, but it might be 9,000 :dunno:
Perhaps that longevity was an attractant to the church builders too ?

I like Yews :) I enjoy the fruits, know to be intensely careful of the seeds, but I have never slept under one.
Surely one of us ought to try and report back ? :)

M

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE