Plant I.D please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can someone help ID this plant for me please.

Located on a half shaded stream margin.

Currently 2-3ft tall - Oval / Spear type leaves.

stream.jpg

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I don't think it's water figwort. Figworts have more pointed & sharply serated leaves; Also they have opposing leaves growing from nodules on the stem. And then there's the grooved veinage which is very distinctive. I can't see any of this on the photo.
I could be wrong though I usually am where plants are concerned. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nigelp

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The square stem and opposite leaves is screaming "lamiale" and that combined with the location suggests that figwort is a good shout.

Reactions: TeeDee

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I would say it might be green figwort, Scrophularia umbrosa, which has a green stem as opposed to water figwort which has more or a red stem. And it has smaller teeth.
Other than figworts and lamiaceae, I can't think what else has opposite leaves at right angles to next pair, and square stem?

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I would say it might be green figwort, Scrophularia umbrosa, which has a green stem as opposed to water figwort which has more or a red stem. And it has smaller teeth.
Other than figworts and lamiaceae, I can't think what else has opposite leaves at right angles to next pair, and square stem?
Yep, that looks far more probable. goodjob

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can someone help ID this plant for me please.

Located on a half shaded stream margin.

Currently 2-3ft tall - Oval / Spear type leaves.

View attachment 74249

This Figwort has continued to grow and prosper and has been joined as far as I can see by several similar smaller Figworts further along the water line at differing places.

My question is , as i've been at the property ( this is my stream border ) for Three Years now and i didn't notice it the first two years , what is its typical life cycle - Biennial??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have figworts growing in my garden. They have a really sturdy root mass and it keeps growing. It forms a huge clump if left to itself. It self seeds very rapidly too, and since the flowering stems are tall the seeds are rattled out to good effect in any wind. If you're on a watercourse then the seeds could have easily come from anywhere upstream.
Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of it because the seeds seem to be a bit like poppies and come up where you don't expect them.
I think it's a perennial tbh.

Nice plant though; part of the background mix I think.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have figworts growing in my garden. They have a really sturdy root mass and it keeps growing. It forms a huge clump if left to itself. It self seeds very rapidly too, and since the flowering stems are tall the seeds are rattled out to good effect in any wind. If you're on a watercourse then the seeds could have easily come from anywhere upstream.
Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of it because the seeds seem to be a bit like poppies and come up where you don't expect them.
I think it's a perennial tbh.

Nice plant though; part of the background mix I think.

M

And no usable use that we ( you ) are aware of?? Anything from the annals of history ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh no, it's useful, but it's as a herb, not something 'bushcrafty'

Look up rose noble, that was the common name for figwort in N. Ireland, some parts of Scotland and northern England.

We had a discussion about it not long since. I'll find a link.

It's used really for skin inflammation type things. It's a general alternative remedy at it's best in situations of poor circulation. Don't use if the heart has any issues.
That said, my old neighbour whose parents looked on it as their 'use for everything' type remedy, and their large family all lived well into their nineties.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE