Planning permission

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When I knew I needed to sell my big bike, I kept putting it off through sentimentality. I realy didn't want to part with it, but I knew it needed to go. I left it for a couple of years, by the time I came to sell it, it needed so much work, I had to cut the price from £6,000 to £3,500.( I should have sold it when it was in prime condition,) and take the hit, the longer it was left, the more would need doing. Spent a couple of days cleaning it, polished out all the rust, and still only got half its worth. Sentimentality and delay cost me money.
Spend the next few months tidying and get your mates/family round for a clear out, then painting party..no wine untill it's done mind!
Then put it on the market in the new year for a quick sale. Have it valued and decide what you'll take as a minimum and stick to it. If they want it, they will come back with a better offer. If they don't, no loss. They are on the make.
Best of luck.

Reactions: GreyCat and Pattree

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, its a struggle, I am trying to remain mellow and plan for the future. Dwelling on things (sic) is no good.

And sorting is exciting in its own way.

Glow worms idea is what I am looking at; "can I" before I apply in full.

I have been up and down the street today taking photos of what I might like.

Will the pics on their own be ok or do I need ground plans?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yes, its a struggle, I am trying to remain mellow and plan for the future. Dwelling on things (sic) is no good.

And sorting is exciting in its own way.

Glow worms idea is what I am looking at; "can I" before I apply in full.

I have been up and down the street today taking photos of what I might like.

Sorry, just to clarify - is this a plan for selling or a plan for living there?

Glow_worm

Oct 20, 2024
East Anglia
It varies slightly between councils I believe. I read your 'rent or sell' thread and saw the Wiltshire reference (I grew up on the edge of Salisbury Plain and deeply resent not being their amongst my hills now!)

The costs are the same as in my part of the world- £65 for an answer to 'Do I need planning permission?' and £134 for advice on 'minor works' like extensions and alterations, i.e. are they likely to be accepted or not and if not, could you tweak things so they could.

There is a download for the householder form on the right of this page: https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/article/2350/Pre-application-advice which lists what you need- photos of the site, a sketched floor and elevation plan of proposals with dimensions (note sketch, doesn't have to be an architect's drawing!) and a site location plan so the council can work out where the house in question is,, which needs to be purchased online from one of the various websites offering the service for around £20-£25 because of copyright issues and it has to be 'just right'.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
The things that might be beneficial are fixing up stuff that could worry a mortgage lender or cause issues with conveyancing..... e.g. an unregistered septic tank. Otherwise, i agree with those suggesting best leave as is/coat of white paint, most folks rip out kitchens and bathrooms and start again.

Painting: if there's a good local decorator available and the house is empty, they should be able to spray a couple of coats on all walls and ceilings in a couple of days. Once masked up, it's really quick and the finish is very good.

GC

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A spray job is a lot quicker than brushes. There's tricks you can use so you actually don't need to mask things. I used to know them, learnt from a decorator but I never had a sprayer so never used them and forgotten them.

Decorator costs and might be hard to find one that'll do it reliably. Trades are in a position to pick and choose jobs right now in most places.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If I was drawing plans would something on squared paper do?

I can draw scaled plans but I suspect these days they would want CAD?

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Depends on what stage you're at. For full planning (pre-planning covered above... I used a local architect rather than council pre-planning, then we went for outline then full):

I did quite a lot of initial scale drawings to brief the architect- along with a folder of "stuff I like" gleaned from various estate agents ads on line and also some of the places we'd viewed previously (looked for a year before deciding to go for a "project")

Application for full planning needs proper plans. That's why I engaged an Architect. They have the knowledge of necessary- starting from basics like permissible roof pitch, material etc. (Again, don't forget Building Regs). But to get what you want, you need to help them help you. They are bridging the gap between your "idea" and the needed "reality which meets regs and is buildable."

Of course, it depends on the scale and complexity of what you propose, but again if Planning consent is to possibly add any value to a property, it needs proper thinking out. A local architect will understand what type of style and design is desirable in the area.

If a Developer wants Planning, I echo the suggestions of others who say "let them do it." If you want planning for something you want to do, then I strongly suggest working with an architect. Yes they cost a few quid, but I found the one I worked with was more than worth it.

For perspective- it took over a year and over £3k to get full planning (and Building Regs) in place for the project I am doing.

GC

PS: @Tengu if you PM me an email address I'll send a copy of the planning application pack we submitted so you can see whats involved at full planning, it's somewhere on the council website of course, but I'm not sure how to link to it.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Why not just get in touch with your local Planning Dept and ask them, they are there to help and will be able to steer you in the right direction as to exactly what would be required for whatever scenario you opt for.

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
To add to what Kepis and others have said, in my experience planning departments can vary from place to place. When I put a pre-planning app in I attached photos and a couple of sketches. It seems our current council mostly tell you to put in full planning.

I've have also drawn up my own plans and submitted a full planning app, which has been approved. I used a drawing program that can accurately draw scale plans and the online planning portal.

Remember you can view full details of planning applications online so you can browse old planning apps in your area. Just visit your councils web site.

It may also be worth noting the current government may well change planning law so, again, it may not be worth you submitting your own plans unless you intend implementing them.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Tengu

Quite a few people have tried to offer advice here and spent time doing so , could I ask what exactly it is you are planning on building and I assume you've thought about how you are going to finance it all?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE