Planned projects?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Outside temp encourages me to stay indoors.
IMG_20150112_192038_zpsvga9mfhz.jpg

I cant help but plan (dream up) new projects (and for that very reason, my wife is trying to diagnose me :)...ADD and whatnot....)

I am thinking that these things would be rather fun to make:

Out of curiosity and also for inspirational purposes (and thus aggrevating my alleged condition): What are you all planning?

Cheers,
Greger

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm currently getting through a good few tree's worth of graph paper planning my 7m X 3m workshop, which I'll be building in my back garden this Spring. The intention is to fit it out completely with benches and shelving
before moving any tools or materials in; that's going to be the hard part as I've got so many things on the 'immediate' list.

I'll certainly post a blow-by-blow account of the build as and when I get started.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've got a couple of fixed blades on the go just now, along with a parang and a whacky sharpening contraption. I keep getting side-tracked with other things though!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would love the time to make by self a new bow.
It would be a short a bow as I could make incorporating a brass take-down collar with a narrow profile made from pacific yew, or atleast a nice clean piece.
It will have very skinny buffalo horn overlays and a pearl inlay arrow pass.

The quiver would be be 3mm veg tan tube with end caps to keep the weather out. It would be divided into quarters length wise internally. Two quarters for each limb of the bow, one for a set of stump shooting arrows and one for a blunt and a broad. There would be a place for a seamless wrap around bracer on the outside of the quiver which would be removed when in use. The bottom cap of the quiver would be removable and house a spare string, spare points and fletch. The whole package in one beautifully crafted leather tube/quiver...

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Would love the time to make by self a new bow.
It would be a short a bow as I could make incorporating a brass take-down collar with a narrow profile made from pacific yew, or atleast a nice clean piece.
It will have very skinny buffalo horn overlays and a pearl inlay arrow pass.

The quiver would be be 3mm veg tan tube with end caps to keep the weather out. It would be divided into quarters length wise internally. Two quarters for each limb of the bow, one for a set of stump shooting arrows and one for a blunt and a broad. There would be a place for a seamless wrap around bracer on the outside of the quiver which would be removed when in use. The bottom cap of the quiver would be removable and house a spare string, spare points and fletch. The whole package in one beautifully crafted leather tube/quiver...

Now this I REALLY need to see. !

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I've just restored a Weihrauch HW80 mk1 from being a rust bucket to a nicely finished rifle!

This is my nect project, A very rusty Langenham T Bar Gem smoothbore gun!!

Gem01_zpsbcfc8ae5.jpg

I have some nice bits of walnut to make a stock..

Gem1_zps85fda7ec.jpg

Had to make a leather breech seal for it!

Gem4_zps732654f9.jpg

Gem8_zps7045ccde.jpg

The action was so siezed that I snapped the trigger guard, Luckily there was one on the other barrel that I bought!!

GR1_zps11b83837.jpg

T'was in a bad state!! Rust had really bitten in to the steel :(

GR4_zps7fed0eab.jpg

Luckily there's plenty of meat on these old guns so not much chance of grinding right through!!

GR29_zps2316b0da.jpg

I used the draw filing technique to do the flats on the octogon barrel followed by emery cloth on a flat piece of wood, I snapped the only decent file by pressing on too much so I had to struggle with a worn one!!

GR30_zpsb30dbc94.jpg

GR22_zps5a920311.jpg

I used Ballistol Klever blue to get an idea of how good/bad the finish was! It needs more ginding/polishing then it will be going off for a pro chemical hot blue :)

GR33_zps53ab45d4.jpg

GR35_zpsfce91f09.jpg

There's still the T Bar and the cocking link to grind/polish...

John :)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
This is the mk1 HW80

HW80Rust_zps1f5c86c8.jpg

Ground and polished

HW80mk1stripped_zps41c929ef.jpg

HW80r1_zpsfe49554b.jpg

Reblued..

HW80mk1reblued_zpsc10dda04.jpg

And rebuilt..

HW80mk1finished3_zpscdbb0581.jpg

HW80mk1finished1_zps1976ea72.jpg

It shoots very nicely now but the first shot out sounded like a shotgun and smoked more than my old mk4 Cortina, it registered 909fps which with the 11.9 grain Hobbies equated to 21ft lbs :nono::yikes:

I stripped it immediately and found the piston seal had picked up some grease or oil that had gotten in to the nick of the parachute seal, I cleaned it thoroughly and removed the excess grease that i'd put on the internals and the next shot out registered 537fps but this time i'd used AA Diablo field pellets which weigh in at exactly 16gns, This worked out at 11.3ft lbs! A figure that i'm much happier with and a very smooth firing and cocking cycle too...

Cheers, John :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My first bowdrill fire kit is well on the way.
1. Fireboard/hearth board done with 8 carved holes and notches.
2. Drill rod done, 3 more on the way this evening.
=
Proof of concept = spun the drill rod with my varspeed hand drill and got a coal= smoke & fire!
I have wanted to do this for more than 50 years. Bucket List.
=
Bow is 6/4 birch, two Ravens holding the string, beak-to-beak = 18"
Birds roughed out, carvings started. Will be iron stained.
3. Buzzed a 3/8" x 3/8" in a nice oval stone for the hand bearing.
Opened the pit with a hammer and point tool.

In the stream of my winter wood carving season, this has moved along without a bump.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm having a go at a computer case firebox going slowing but quite well, I have to think more about the flue.

sketch_zps62174326.jpg

A little sketch I made to get it sorted in my head. I'll hopefully get round to posting a thread of it.

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Interesting projects all, I must say.

For my own part, I think I will go ahead with the wood strip sled. Plans are roughly £35, a kit £267...I could make the plans myself, I think, but it would be untested/untried. We'll see.
(The bow...well...that appears to require quite some reading. The knife can happen any weekend (My neighbour is a knife smith but his work hours is...well...not that reagular))

Cheers,
Greger

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I've got some cloth, in a really bright green, that's going to be a bag. Eventually. I'm not sure whether to do a shoulder strap, shoulder+waist or normal back-pack style. I'll be using it biking to Uni and the shops (not Bushcrafty, but hey!)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I've got some leather scraps left over from some projects at my mums house (she made a leather floor mat for camping to act as a ground sheet on top of the nylon ground sheet she has). Plan to cut them to reasonable strips and glue to some boards to make strops...they should be good for that. Little pieces I may try to make a small stitched bag from if I have the time.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Not quite a project but more a project of projects...

I am starting up a youtube channel covering bushcraft, woodraft/wood working, kit reviews etc...

Nothing that a hundred others haven't already done before me but hoping to make it more of an instructional resource than just me blabbering on.

The benefit is not only will it keep me busy thinking of new things to make clips about but each one will be a little project in itself be it carving a spoon, some form of fire lighting etc...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE