Pit roasted Scones

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Rather than making lots of normal sized i thought it would be easier to make one big one. I would have made Bannock but i dont have the dried egg etc so a scone was the next best thing! And it turned out really well!

It cooked perfectly all the way through in the pit and then i browned it off for about a minute next to the fire.

I have cooked a scone like this before by propping it up next to the fire but the mixture didnt cook evenly and the mix slid down the pan into a lump. Cooking it in a pit like this made it cook evenly

scone.jpg

Heres the pit:

I Put all the hot rocks in the bottom and then put a couple of green sticks on top so that the baking tin wasnt touching the hot rocks directly. The pit was then sealed with more battens of green wood and then grass and earth on top. When i opened the pit back up i was carefull enough not to get any soil on top of the scone.

pit.jpg

I have also pit roasted quite a lot of jacket potatoes which turn out excellent!

Jon

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks lovely.

Bannock doesn't have to have egg in it. Bannock is Gaelic for bread more or less, and it commonly refers to bread that is cooked on a pan, not a recipe it self which is very variable.

You are very lucky that you can build a pit oven, I have to use an earthenware biscuit jar to cook my bread evenly on a fire as like you I dont like the half burned half raw taste of bannock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE