Pistachio Skinner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have for sale a skinner that I have handled and it has my first home-made sheath! :D

DSCN2823.jpg

The blade is 440c, has a 65mm edge and is 180mm overall.

DSCN2822.jpg

Scales are Pistachio, pins are bamboo and the lanyard hole is unlined.

DSCN2817.jpg

I kept the scales quite fat to fit securely in the hand.

DSCN2826.jpg

DSCN2827.jpg

The sheath is a dangler.

DSCN2836.jpg

It has been wet formed and the welt at the handle end is 4 layers thick (it wasn't meant to be! :lol: ) I would be impressed if someone managed to push the knife through the bottom of this one!

DSCN2829.jpg

( - Blurry pic!)

There are some mistakes.

Some scuff marks on the handle where I didn't mask it sufficiently.

DSCN2831.jpg

Some marks on the sheath from drilling too deep with the pillar drill when making the holes and marked the leather with the chuck jaws.

DSCN2823b.jpg

As it's not 100% - £35 inc delivery & fees.

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
I've never used a knife to skin a Pistachio,
come to think of it I'v never skinned a Pistachio I've always considered them to be like a tortoise, just crack off the shell and munch away. Although I've never seen Tortoise flavour Ice cream, hmmm getting rather confused now.........:)

On a serious note, does that handle really function? I'm not knocking your workmanship or design it just looks a little arkward to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, nice one Stew :)
I like skinners, useful knives for a multitude of tasks.
Pistachio is supposed to be like olive wood and be both hard and long lasting and not guilty of splinters; how did you find it to work?
cheers,
Toddy

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I
On a serious note, does that handle really function? I'm not knocking your workmanship or design it just looks a little arkward to me.

It actually works quite well. The scales fill the palm nicely, with your index finger sat in the front notch. It's a very secure grip.

Hhhm, Pistachio ice-cream....... :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hmmm, nice one Stew :)
I like skinners, useful knives for a multitude of tasks.
Pistachio is supposed to be like olive wood and be both hard and long lasting and not guilty of splinters; how did you find it to work?
cheers,
Toddy

It's quite nice to work with. Not too hard like boxwood, but hard enough. It's not as oily as Olive wood, nor as fragrant (what is?).

It's a 'middle' wood of hardwoods, in my opinion. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE