pine wood land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mvwales

Jul 12, 2016
wales
Hi, I live in the south wales valleys, the valley which I live in is predominantly surrounded by pine woodlands which are steap in most places due to being spreed across the valley side.
The woodland has plenty of wildlife, mushrooms and resources but the lower parts of the trees are bare and the top of the trees are green within the woodlands there are alot of broken branches and the odd slanted or fallen trees which I know is a risk.

which leads me to my post does any body have any advice on this sort of terrian?

due to the nature of where I live I struggle to find flat woodland anywhere near me the odd flat places I do manage to find are well used and are full of cans and broken glass which is no good for me or my dog.

Thanks for all your help

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

What sort of advice are you looking for exactly?

If it's how to camp in such an area then perhaps look at hammocking as an option.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome onboard, sounds like a lot of Northumberland and Southern Scotland, these woodlands are great for collecting fatwood

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A conventional hammock would be a quick and easy solution but my old dog Oscar got rather miffed at not being able to curl up next to me so ended up making lopsided bough beds. Widomaker's there's not a lot you can do except look for somewhere better.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pine branches are securely attached to the tree trunk. Go ahead = try to pull them off.
Find a couple of your "odd flat places." Go out there with a rake and a couple of trash bags and tidy up.
(Or do you risk being fitted up by some jerk forest warden?)
Just do enough to make the places your own.

What we see here is that many wilderness campsites are so fantastically clean that it creates
some respect for the locations. I'm thinking of one in particular, 4-5 families, maybe 20 people in all.
Even a shower tent, OK? After they leave, all you will find is some bent grass.
No clues that anyone has spent 2 weeks there. Rock-ring fire pits? Empty. No charcoal.

A small bunch of us gradually fixed up a tenting site hidden in a conifer forest, base for goose & duck hunting.
Crude benches, crude table sort of things. A year later, a better table appeared (???) and a great effort had been made by
somebody to elevate and improve the rock ring fire pit.

Pick 3 places. Tidy them up. Sleep overs in all = good? better? best?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE