Pine Cone Candles

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does, but oh, it's messy, and it burns dirty too.

On the other hand, it's freely available for a little effort so well worth the while.

Tbh I think the old pine splints would be better if you didn't have old wax to use up.
They were commonly used in the past, they burn for about 20 minutes or so, and a lot simpler than making pitch just to burn it.

Pitch used to be soaked into cloth and wrapped around a stick to make the traditional 'flaming torch'.........pity it runs down your hand and sets your sleeve on fire, but, it does work.

Let us know how you get on with it ? :D

atb,
M

With the pine splints, we tried a torch at one of our meets last year where we quartered the top of a log and put splints, birch bark and pitch and it burned bright but kept dying down and needed encouraging to get it going.
How would you prepare the splints that you are talking about?

I was thinking of using the pines cones as something that we can knock up in the woods with what we have rather than taking additional wax and getting some natural light. They would probably be placed inside some of the old haggis tins.....seeing as we will have plenty lol. :) Our little tradition at the meets that seems to have taken off.

Would adding more beeswax into the mix than normal help with the candles?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Twodogs found a load of burnt out candles around one of the frozen Lakes we stopped at in Norway.

He knocked up these:

004tryvannstud38.jpg

Burnt all night too. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, that's the candle pots we use :)
The pinecone acts like a giant wick. I usually just use clay plant pots for them.........the tin cans I found got too hot to move if needed while the clay pots were a bit more insulated, if more fragile and not quite as disposable as old haggis tins :)

I wrap a string around the pine cone and soak it in wax and then wedge it into the wax. Easy light, good light, long burn time......but it's not pitch, iimmc.

Pine splints are just thin sticks of resinous pine. They used to be held in a kind of clip thing, but burnt nubs of them were found on the crannog excavations on Loch Tay, and as far as I know we don't know how the bronze/iron age folks supported them. They can just be shoved into the earth though, just mind your feet :) Last ones I tried burnt for about 20 minutes or so. They smell good too :D

The cross cut log works very well, if it's sited where there's a draught blowing through it; otherwise it does burn but it needs feeding and when it's got enough heat in it, it burns slow and steady, lots of red heat rather than flaming light.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the links :cool:

I've a bucket of clay sitting to be played with.........I think I'm going to try Jacqui's bunsen burner :D

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the cat food tins filled with corrugated card and old wax.........what a smokey mess ! :yikes: Loads of light, loads of heat, but the smoke belched out from it. That was when I gave the pinecones a shot. Much better :)

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE