Pimping tarp and hammock suspension

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stan794

Nov 16, 2007
Corby
Been looking at the dutchware gear, is it worth it to change suspension system and ridgelines, what's the pros. ( I don't care about the weight thing )

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Definitely worth it. They make the whole process of putting up my tarp an absolute cinch and so​ quick. I don't have them on my hammock.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
All you need to know is....................TITANIUM.................

Sorry im a kit *****

Yeah its a lot quicker to set up, no more knots to tie.
I have a TI Dutch hook that i use to grip the lash-it ridgeline around the tree, then i have a TI Dutch Fly to pull the ridge line tight and lock it off around the other tree.
Now i want a pair of TI Dutch tarp carabiners to attach the tarp pullouts to the prusik knots on my line to pull the tarp tight.
Makes it so much quicker to set up my tarp in the rain and wind. Especially not having to tie knots when your hands are cold.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Well worth it and Dutch always gives first class service IME. Nice guy too.

I've used it all over the years it's been out. Tarp Flyz, Dutch hooks and Dutch buckles sit on one set of suspensions and lines, Whoopie hooks and looped end tree straps on another rig.

Whoopie hooks and looped tree straps are the simplest, cheapest and lightest way of blinging and cope with any tree size.

Dutch hooks and dutch buckles with whoopie slings are the most adjustable and often the quickest for the hammock.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Interesting to read all the replies. I manage very happily with just tying knots for the tarp, quick and easy, although I sometimes use a linelok at one end.

Whoopie slings are definitely a must, I have mine larks footed to the hammock, loop ended tree straps and a marlin spike hitch, nice and quick and easy.

More than one way to skin the proverbial though and respect that others have their own preferences, might try some of the dutch gear just for fun, but can't really see it being significantly quicker or better, can it ? :)

Cheers, Paul

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use a couple of dutch flyz on the ridge line purely because I've used zingit for the ridge as it's strong and stupidly light, even with the flyz it's ligjter than any line I've used, but if i hadn't used a string that is tosh to tie knots with i would still tie knots. :)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I use a Dutch hook at one end of my continuous zing it ridge line,with a stinger attached to the other end of the tarp.And I love it,quick and easy for a strong tight ridge line.I also have a few flyz about and a couple of spare hooks.I probably be ordering a couple of Dutch clips for easy tree strap connection.
peace !

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Maybe it's time I updated from cheap "paracord" ridge line to some zingit and dutch gear, what I use weighs next to nothing anyway but does take up a bit of space, works fine though and takes prussicks well for tensioning the tarp so maybe if it ain't broke ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

stan794

Nov 16, 2007
Corby
Currently using a paracord ridgeline with the nite ize cam jam, still quick to set up, but you know what its like with gadgets lol. Still using the standard webbing on hammock with karibiner mod, i like the look of the cinch buckle set up he has :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would also add glow in the dark line loks as a rather useful way to add to a tarp. I have them on my tarps, and they really make a difference to seeing where your guy lines are.

Didn't stop me tripping over my flecktarn tarp the other day tho, that hurt...

J

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Minor hijack to the thread! Soft shackles on DD ends to whoopie slings or just larks foot whoopie slings to gathered end?!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE