Pigeons (well birds generally ;-))

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Having recently given up vegetarianism, I had a go at gutting a pigeon the other day - I've only been taught fish and mammals, so this was relatively new territory. I loosely followed the river cottage cookbook, but Hugh's methods seem a little messy and unlikely when using a flat grind 4" blade rather than a cleaver! :-?

Can anyone suggest a more bushcraft orientated way of dealing with birds? Is there any specific way to deal with a full crop - or is it just a case of slitting open and scooping out? What about the gall bladder - I've heard several ramblings about the dangers of rupturing it...is this the case? and is this the same for mammals? Oh and the feet - how do you remove them cleanly and does anyone know any of the oriental recipes for them?

Thanks,

Matt

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
There's 2 ways I do pigeon - depends on what I want to cook.

First way - pluck enough feathers from the breastbone to expose it (about 1/2" either side), slit the skin & peel it back to expose the breast meat. Slice down along the breastbone, then, lifting the meat as you go, slice along the line of the ribcage to separate the breast from the bird. In Haynes manual style, repeat for the other side. Rest of the carcass goes for the foxes (or the bin, depending on where I am).

The other way is the more involved way... Pluck the bird. Don't bother plucking the head, but go up past the crop. Feathers will probably get everywhere. Cut the head off just above the crop (no cleaver required, I've done it with pocketknives, secateurs, big knives, whatever). Same with the feet, just about the "ankle" - leaving a decent looking (albeit small) drumstick is about the best description I can think of. Check the contents of the crop to see what (and therefore hopefully where) it has been eating. Clean it out. Carefully (to avoid going too deep) cut around the anus, just cutting into the cavity, and drag the guts out. They'll probably break, but try not to break the intestines. I tend to wipe the inside of the carcass with kitchen paper to get the last of the bits out - the lungs seem to stick to the back of the ribcage. Singe the thing all over with a flame (eg a lighter) to get the wispy bits of feather that you can't easily pluck.

There isn't much additional meat the second way, but you do get the carcass for stock. If the crop is full of grain, I guess you could conceivably eat it. Won't be more than a tablespoon or 2.

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
You can prepare pigeons with just your bare hands, :evil: as Drew Love-Jones from Survival School demonstrated during the game preparation workshop at the wilderness gathering.
Simply hold the bird firmly in one hand and twist each wing off with the other. Twist or pull the head and neck off. If the crop doesn't completely come out remove it with your finger. Then put the first 2 fingers from one hand in the chest cavity behind the breast, and the first 2 fingers on the other hand also inside the chest but behind the back. If you're still with me :wink: your hands should be back to back with the palms facing outwards (its easier to demonstrate than describe in words :!: ), with 2 fingers from each hand inside the chest of the pigeon. Then simply pull apart.
The 2 breasts should break away cleanly with the breastbone attached. Peel off and skin or feathers sticking to it and hey presto!

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Wow thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to give the 'look no knives' method a go! Cheers!

:-D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I was thinking about this, walking into work this morning.

I've got some cookery and "household advice" books from the 1920s, or so. These often have advice on dressing game, especially small birds like pigeon, woodcock, snipe, and sometimes blackbirds and thrushes.

You can pick up these books in jumble sales and charity shops for next to nothing, 50 pence or less.

Keith.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep keith :-D most of my books are quite old... picked up cheap. Books published during WWII especialy around the 'dig for victory' campaign have some great recipies using minimum ingreidients including using what you would find in hedge rows etc.....
Old sources are excellent.
Ed

A

Anonymous

Hi I had a go at this at the the Wilderness gathering. Works a treat, no hassle to get the only bit worth fondling, sorry thats me other hobby- i mean cooking - the breasts.
I wont be bothering with plucking and gutting again, and i expect Foxy is quite chuffed too.
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE