pig nut problem

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
KevB said:
Correct me somone if I'm wrong but I think you'll find it's illegal to dig up a pignut. They're a protected plant. (??)
You're not allowed to dig the roots of any plant without landowners permission, but if you have that then it's fine as far as I know. Just don't eat them all or there won't be any next year!

Just be very very careful. Perhaps excavate around the stem so that you can attack it from the side as well as from above. Do your best to avoid touching the stem at all. Of course, you have to be sure you're digging up a pignut and not something else too ;)

Oh, and only eat the ones that come up still attached to the stem - if it's not attached, you can't be sure that what you're eating is actually a pignut..

HTH,
Neil

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
KevB said:
Correct me somone if I'm wrong...

You're wrong.

Well, kind of ;)

Wildlife & Countryside Act prohibits the *unauthorised* uprooting of any wild plant species. Key word there is unauthorised - if you have the landowner's permission (and the plant isn't on Schedule 8 - protected plants), you can.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jason,

Unless your worried about getting mud under ya nails or the ground is rock hard just dig down with your finger tips. Just slowly scrape away the soil and follow the stem...it will begin to narrow and then will kick back at 90degs to the main stem and there should be the nut.

Just dont tug it around and, as with most things, don't rush it as you will end up snapping the root.

If after that you still aren't finding the nut.....are you sure its a pig nut :D ;)

Andy.

edit...meant to say if the ground is hard then you may find it easier to use a strong stick to chip the soil away.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
defantly a pig nut i live in the chilltans and the ground is so bloody hard it takes a lot of time I have dug them up but it takes to long is there a trick to it thanks :)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thought I had better get in here!!! ;)

As said if you are 100% that it is a pignut (As with all wild food) the best way to go about it is to scrape the soil away with your fingertips, if as you say the soil is verry hard try using a digging stick!, another trick I have used is to take a shoval and take a large clump of soil (Which includes the pignut), this allows you to break the soil up from all sides, apart from that there is no easy trick that I can think of.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Pignut said:
Thought I had better get in here!!! ;)

As said if you are 100% that it is a pignut (As with all wild food) the best way to go about it is to scrape the soil away with your fingertips, if as you say the soil is verry hard try using a digging stick!, another trick I have used is to take a shoval and take a large clump of soil (Which includes the pignut), this allows you to break the soil up from all sides, apart from that there is no easy trick that I can think of.
thanks for that mate good link ;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
A very well illustrated guide to identifying and finding the 'nut' (well it's a tuber but :rolleyes: ) can be found here;

Wild Food School - Pignut - Conopodium majus - as a foodstuff

Regarding the legal side, English Nature have posted a clear explanation of the principal, current laws relating to fungi, but same principles apply to wild plants. For information:
Fungi [and other wild plants] and the Law

There are two main laws which may protect fungi:

The Theft Act 1968 which applies only in England and Wales
The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and similar laws in Northern Ireland and Scotland

Under the Theft Act it is an offence

to dig up and take any plant, tree or shrub or any soil, peat, gravel etc which is part of the land, being the property of somebody. Digging up fungi could constitute theft unless you have permission.
to take the property of somebody and sell it for gain. the Act recognises the custom of taking wild fruit and flowers, including fungi, and permits such action so long as there is no personal financial gain. Collecting fungi for sale without the landowner's permission may be an offence.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 [amended by the CRoW Act 2000] it is an offence

to pick, uproot, destroy or sell, and/or collect and cut any plant listed on Schedule 8 of the Act (protected species) which includes some species of fungi
to uproot any wild plant, unless the person is authorised. As "plants" include fungi and lichens on Schedule 8, it is clear that fungi are treated as plants for the purpose of this Act. To pick fungi without uprooting them is probably legal, but see the Theft Act outline above.
Areas of land which are Sites of Special Scientific Interest and National Nature Reserves under the Act have special protection which will have been made known to the landowner or occupier. This may restrict the collection of fungi.

There may also be local Byelaws on Local Nature reserves, property belonging to the National Trust, Forestry Commission or Local Authorities, under which it is an offence to pick fungi and plants.

It is always worthwhile checking with landowners and managers whether these laws apply to their land and to ask their permission to enter their land, particularly if you want to collect fungi.
Details of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 (WCA 1981, amended by the CRoW Act 2000) are here;

JNCC - The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Note also that the recent Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW) which opens up more land for public access, specifically restricts any person exercising the right of access (among other things), to;
Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.

2000 Chapter 37.

SCHEDULE 2.

RESTRICTIONS TO BE OBSERVED BY PERSONS EXERCISING RIGHT OF ACCESS.

General restrictions.

1. Section 2(1) does not entitle a person to be on any land if, in or on that land, he-

(l) intentionally removes, damages or destroys any plant, shrub, tree or root or any part of a plant, shrub, tree or root,
source: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00037--t.htm#sch2

Further details can be found on the free, downloadable booklet entitled Countryside access and the new right leaflet which can be found here;

Countryside Access - Publications

Of course none of this restricts your right to forage, as long as you have the landowners permission.

English Nature also offer a concise 'Code of Conduct' which is also relevant to wild plants here;

The Wild Mushroom Pickers' Code of Conduct

Happy Foraging :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE