Piece of Yew needed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
Can anyone direct me to a place I may be able to purchase a Yew Branch as they are very rare around here & i'm wanting to start a project carving a Hunting type Bow?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
:yikes: Be careful what you get hold of. It takes about 5 years to season a yew limb over here. Wouldn't want you to have any problems.

You can get yew staves sent in from the US (dont know how much it costs, but I am sure I can find a man who does)

I have some Yew in the garage, but it is still many years away from being useable. Let me know how you get on :-D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
ARRGH! Don't do it!! :lol: Bow making can become dangerously addictive...BEWARE!

Will this be your first bow? If so, I would give yew a miss. Even in medieval times there was trade in yew with europe. The UK stuff isn't all that good for bows, at least, a good bit is hard to find, and probably is growing in someone's garden or something! A branch will work, at a push, but it likely won't be the easiest to work and won't make a really good bow. US bow grade yew is EXPENSIVE. Heck, osage is cheaper, and hickory cheaper still, if you are going to import.

Despite what some people will say, you can make excellent hunting weight bows from ash and elm. The right 3" diameter tree will work, though something bigger, 6-10" will be better. A 3 inch ash is more likely to be straight than a 3inch yew, the wood works easier too. Ash is common as mud and you can afford to mess up the first couple. It also dryes fast and you can go from green tree to seasoned bow in a couple months quite easily.

If you haven't read The Traditional Bowyer's Bible (at least vol1) I would thoroughly recommend it.

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
Wow thanks. It is my first Bow so I will try Ash as thats everywhere here.
The Bowyers Bible? Do you have the ISBN of that one?
I can't wait to start...Twang

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just go to Amazon.co.uk and type Bowyers Bible into the book search. It will bring up the lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...4577/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_17_1/202-1821275-5368646

Wow, they are paper back now. When I got mine they were all hardback at about £22 a pop.

Personally I would say, get the book, at least the first one, before so much as cutting wood. It talks about choosing wood, cutting and seasoning, bow design and so forth.

I rushed into my first, using a 3-4 inch diameter yew tree, before I had heard of these books. I worked the bow too green, too flat, incorrectly around knots, I tried to dry it too fast, :roll: Pretty much did everything wrong. It didn't break, but is permanently C shaped with about 5 inches of set, pulls about 30lb and jars my teeth on the loose! :shock: :lol: In retrospect it wasn't a bad bit of wood, oh well, live and learn!

You do know that you will have to learn about making strings and arrows too? :wink:

Check out http://www.stickbow.com/ The LeatherWall used to be a great place to learn about bows. Haven't been there in a while, but it is worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE