Pickled Cabbage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Just for Fun.

Does anyone have any recipes/ideas on what else to do with shop bought pickled cabbage?

We always seem to have a jar in the cupboard, but apart from eating it as a condiment for cold meats, we don't really know what else to do with it.

Any ideas?

Paul

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You could theoretically use it in any dish you would normally use normal cabbage in, but obviously the vinegar would impart a sourness that you'd need to counteract with something sweet.

So I guess it would be good for making sweet and sour something.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I was thinking of Sauerkraut of the German kind. I thought it was called pickled cabbage over here :confused:
You are indeed right Ketchup.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pickledcabbage_71284.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy..._medicine/practicalexercises_sauerkraut.shtml

Anyway it's the German type stuff that I really like. http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Veg Accompaniments/Homemade Sauerkraut Veg CD German 10 days.htm

Are you talking about pickled cabbage by the same company amongst others that makes picalili - I can't remember the name of the company now is it maybe Haywards :confused:

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Not necessarily Haywards but any pickled cabbage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sauerkraut fermented pickled cabbage or is my mate having fun at my expense?

And I agree with the home made meat and tatie pie.

stonyman said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sauerkraut fermented pickled cabbage or is my mate having fun at my expense?.

Yes, definitely: bacterial fermentation by acetic- and lactobacteria. It's almost impossible to stop cabbage from fermenting, that's why it's done in so many countries, not only in Alsace or Germany, but also in central Asia, China and Korea (even Afrika, I think).
That's also why cabbage takes so hard to digest in the compost heap. The cabbage ribs ad heart turn into saurkraut for nothing and last forever.

It's fun making your own, and from a bushcraft point of view, in conditions where you are far from fresh vegies, it is a prime source of Vitamine C. That's why the British Navy introduced it as standard fare on navy ships in the XIXth century ... Scorbut disappeared altogether overnight

...Rule Britania :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It's a big thing in all of Eastern Europe too, supposedly because cabbages are robust enough to grow in poor soil and weather.
If you get a "salad" in Poland it usually consists of pickled cabbage, carrot and beetroot. It was funny watching diet conscious tourists order it and be a bit surprised with what they received!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE