Pickett Envy (Piccs of Woodpeckers)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, not a patch on Mr Picketts rare Lesser Spotted photos but we have always been lucky with regular woodpecker visits to the garden . We have had a few interesting visits lately though

Here we have a juvenile Greater Spotted(photo is Bushbaby's I enviously confess)

810446155_9247b7aee5.jpg

Tonight we had a pair of greens. Strangely we often see the males but the females far less frequently

This is the male

810446141_49bcce21db.jpg

and this the female

810445939_5287f5c58d.jpg

Although regular visitors, theres something about woodpeckers - I'll still take the time to watch them!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Call in when you are passing mate - the woods on the farm are full of em! Never seen a Lesser Spotted (yet) though :(

Red

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Great photos Red. I'm lucky enough to have seen and heard Greater, Lesser and Green Woodpeckers. The last time I watched Greater Spotted Woodpeckers they had the misfortune of mistaking a concrete lamp post for a tree :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Evolving into Concretepeckers?. Very graceful and elegant birds which, after repeatedly head butting concrete can lack intellegence :D

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Great pictures,
greater spotted woodpeckers are common here as well but I rarely see the green ones.
Your 'female' is a juvenile by the way, they are the speckled ones, the females closely resemble the males but have no red in their 'moustache'.

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, Tom corrected me. Its amazing how little you can tell from books huh? I love this forum for that - I learn so much by messing up my IDs :D how else do you learn though? The worst of my mistake is, I think not only is it a juvenile, but I suspect it might also a male juvenile :eek:

"man dies by being pecked to death by offended green woodpecker teenager"

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice shots there Red, I only have distance shots of greens, I tend to see more of them while working in peoples gardens, than I see while out and about, though I often hear them yaffling.... I have never seen a greater spotted on the ground...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE