Pick two 1095 knives for a random adventure.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
You don’t know the specific scenario, you just get to pick two knives made from 1095 to take with you.

Who does the best job with 1095? ESEE, KA-BAR, TOPS, etc? TOPS seem to have the biggest variety of knives but I think my first pick would be a Becker BK9, followed by a smaller knife like an ESEE 4, or maybe a TOPS BOB.

Any thoughts? I’m bored, so waffle on as much as you want about anything related to this topic.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
To be honest I tend to avoid 10XX series knives, and favour 01 or 52100, as although they rust less quickly, I cannot see them rust visbly in front of my eyes like 1095 seems too.

I do however have some 1095 and 1075 knives, and for the 1095 steels it would be the Tops BOB and the Esee izula 2. Perfect combination for a double carry, I would just ensure that I have frog lube/oil with me to coat after.

I have a Jeff White pathfinder knife that I am desperate to get out and use, I love the trade knife design.

I also have a few 80crv2 blades to handle, really wanted to try that steel for a while.

Very interested to see what others say....

Last edited:

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
For the price that they are asking for their 1095 blades - Tops and Esee especially, you can get an upgrade in steel from varusteleka for less money. Their 80crv2 is excellent. Variety is more limited but they are brilliant knives for the money.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If my impression is right, that you are interested to spend some money in a few toys, that you want to play around with some bushcraft tools and get some own impressions, because you aren't yet so horribly experienced in such things, are locked into your garden and want to spend your time with bushcraft, and assuming, that you are pretty well earning, I would recommend to buy the following tools or a few of them:

Bahco Laplander saw

TBS mug

Pathfinder Bush Pot 1,75 litres

Morakniv Garberg

Fällkniven DC4 sharpening tool

Ferrocerium rod Light my Fire Army

Victorinox Compact

Opinel No8 Carbone

Fiskars X7 hatchet

Sheath for it

Agawa Canyon Boreal 21, orange handle

Sheath for it, Cordura Nylon

Hultafors GK heavy duty
(For first sharpening trials)

Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110

Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85

Most experienced members of this forum will surely agree, that the list above is a selection of reasonably priced no nonsense tools.

If you aren't so well earning or not so horrably bored, just take the Morakniv Garberg stainless with leather sheath, the Light my Fire Army ferrocerium rod, the DC4 sharpening tool, the Bahco folding saw and the two stainless steel pots. Like this you get a very good selection of tools for a relatively low amount of money and are perfectly equipped for most European conditions. Well treated the handy stuff will surely last you a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong:
The short list in the end is my realistic recommendation for the average beginner. There is a lot of other equipment, that costs a bit money, and would be needed if you want to go for hiking and wild camping. It is interesting too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minotaur and Sieddy

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I am bored too, Wittyusername ... so thanks for the chance to witter on aimlessly

I like the Great Eastern folders for 1095, and as a suitable companion to a larger knife.

Have a look at the Bullnose (small) and Bullbuster (large) - also the lovely little carvers they made in that Farm and Field range. Have a look at the 23 (large and magnificent), the 48 single (very elegant), the 73, the 53 moose, the 81 stockman .... I could go on a bit .... but although they experiment a lot for the collectors market, they have made about a dozen real classics. Trouble is that they are not always available and, worse, like other companies at the moment, they appear to have only a dimished stock out there just now.

Note that there are still Schatts, Queens and Moore Makers out there in 1095; left over after Queen's last owner tried something heroic, but eventually doomed.

OT Coda - I bought a Spyderco Military in 52100 about six weeks ago. I haven't carried anything else since .. which is very unusual for me. It is an amazing knife and rather different now in its resolved state from the ones I had about 10+ years back. Anyway, you might like to look at the Spyderco Millie, Para2 and Para3 in the carbon steel options (K390, 52100). To get the one you want (as some are discontinued now) you may have to pay a little over the odds, but not as much as you might think

GEC-23.jpg

GEC-Stockman.jpg

GEC-Bullbuster-and-UKPK.jpg

MIllie.jpg

Last edited:

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Bath bushcraft? Decadent :) and maybe not so good for 1095
The fit and finish of the plastic is a little rough, but the one I have has a very good grind and heat treat and I prefer the drop point vs the clip point of say, the Garberg, plus it has a clearcoat of some sort on the sides and spine (not on the spine of mine anymore) to protect from corrosion.
Also, just a bit of a shout out, the service I have received from the Bath Bushcraft shop has been excellent, and they sell some really usefull stuff.

May 1, 2023
Northwest
If my impression is right, that you are interested to spend some money in a few toys, that you want to play around with some bushcraft tools and get some own impressions, because you aren't yet so horribly experienced in such things, are locked into your garden and want to spend your time with bushcraft, and assuming, that you are pretty well earning, I would recommend to buy the following tools or a few of them:

Bahco Laplander saw

TBS mug

Pathfinder Bush Pot 1,75 litres

Morakniv Garberg

Fällkniven DC4 sharpening tool

Ferrocerium rod Light my Fire Army

Victorinox Compact

Opinel No8 Carbone

Fiskars X7 hatchet

Sheath for it

Agawa Canyon Boreal 21, orange handle

Sheath for it, Cordura Nylon

Hultafors GK heavy duty
(For first sharpening trials)

Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110

Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85

Most experienced members of this forum will surely agree, that the list above is a selection of reasonably priced no nonsense tools.

If you aren't so well earning or not so horrably bored, just take the Morakniv Garberg stainless with leather sheath, the Light my Fire Army ferrocerium rod, the DC4 sharpening tool, the Bahco folding saw and the two stainless steel pots. Like this you get a very good selection of tools for a relatively low amount of money and are perfectly equipped for most European conditions. Well treated the handy stuff will surely last you a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong:
The short list in the end is my realistic recommendation for the average beginner. There is a lot of other equipment, that costs a bit money, and would be needed if you want to go for hiking and wild camping. It is interesting too.
Hi mate, new to the forum, just wondering where you can buy the Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110, Carbon Steel, as they dont ship to the UK and not seen them anywhere, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Terävä knives are sold exclusively by Varusteleka or second hand.

A stainless Mora Garberg with leather sheath is the better option in my opinion for most civil users.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Can't I just pick my old Elwell Billhook and an opinel no.8. I am sure that would have been more than good enough for the old timers never mind the steel.

Reactions: Ystranc

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you know what you are doing the Opinel Carbone No8 alone is surely good enough.

;)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
When asked about why no delivery to UK Leka's answer was clearly the age check requirement, nothing else. Do you have a friend in Ireland or is that problematic too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE