Phone charging bushcraft style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HoraceNelson

Oct 14, 2013
california
No I have various power bank and various phones.

Where I was going and how long for would determine what capacity power bank I chose and what capacity phone I would use.

For example 15000mah bank would charge average phone about 14 times. A 30000mah would obviously double that.

The 3 times you're referring to is my note 2 which has 3 times capacity of average phone which I wouldnt take unless I modded system to use less power like under volting or under clocking and maybe flashing new rom to device instead of stock Samsung.

There is many things I could do instead of pratting about with a solar or fire charger which would take far too long to charge.

For a 3 day trip I could just use a extended battery and take smaller power bank or standard battery and bigger power bank.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4
Thanks for sharing information.. I am planning a small one week trip and trying to gather some information about portable chargers..

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
That is the worst invention I have seen this year, even after watching this year's series of dragon's den

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing information.. I am planning a small one week trip and trying to gather some information about portable chargers..

Glad to have been some help :)

If you're going for 1 week then depending on your device and your usage I would recommend taking a decent quality power bank like a NewTrent or a PowerSeed. I wouldn't trust any of the cheap versions or clones. I also like to take a spare charged battery in case I run out of juice during day, Then I can just swap batteries instead of having to put on charge and then just charge up overnight instead.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That is the worst invention I have seen this year, even after watching this year's series of dragon's den
Riight

Given that at least one national army thinks this useful enough to make a similar device part of their standard winter kit, I'm not sure I agree with you at all.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Riight

Given that at least one national army thinks this useful enough to make a similar device part of their standard winter kit, I'm not sure I agree with you at all.

I think the point that some, including Adz, are making is that for most folks it isn't the best option available for their needs. An Armies needs are different though. An Army trains to be deployed without an idea of how long they will be gone. An army could well be in the field for years in the event of war so such a device, assuming it works, would be of interest to them. They wouldn't be using it to watch movies on their tablets though.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I'm not really sold on that Techcrunch product. 3-4 mins of power using a lot of fuel.
I sometimes use a candle, DIY solid fuel wax/cotton wool lump burning in a tin can if I'm somewhere where a camp fire can't be built, or if I am then just build a camp fire using the kit below.

I tend to use the powerpot V supplying 5 watts and 1 amp to either directly to my charge my iphone or to charge a GoalZero Guide 10 Powerpack and powering my phone from that using the 5 watts 1 amp ( 10 watt hours, 4 AA 2,300 mAh NiMH battery's ) from that at night time.
I use two Guide 10's giving 18,400 NiMH or 20 watt amp hours.

In the daytime I can use a flexable solar panel to charge the Guide 10 powerpacks, even if I'm
moving as the solar can be strapped on the burgan/rucksack.

I use a Nomad 20 solar panel ( 1kg ) as in shaded areas in forests it is more efficient than the Nomad 7 or 13 panels.

I sometimes camp on my own so having a communications device with Internet is a handy thing to have for research and chatting. The powerpot also charge up the LED Lensor rechargeable head torch and even a Nikkai digital t.v if one wants to enjoy a film or digital radio program.

Saying that I would only use these devices if I was on my own.

Always good to keep a charge on devices.

I hope that may help some people.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I take with me a Powermonkey Extreme[1], in summer in Belgium and Wales this has kept my phone going for a whole week without issue. I have no reason to think it wouldn't continue to keep me connected indefinitely as long as there is some sun. I just wish I could plug two panels into it, so that I can utilise lower sun levels.

Julia

[1] Older 5v version

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE