Peugeot P4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Anyone got one? Basically a French built and Peugeot engined G-Wagen. Thinking of one for vehicle shows and country fun & games.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I had a Peugeot 407 for five years. My Dad had the estate version and the previous model before that. All did over 100,000 miles without too much mishap. The wiring was too thin on both the 407’s resulting in poor earths and faults on the dash with the inevitable bleeping but this may not have been fitted to an army work vehicle.
What I do know about the G Wagen is the chassis rots on the tubular out-riggers so look closely at these. Mechanically I’d hazzard that they would have been driven by squaddies and if you take that into consideration you may get a bargain or you may not. As a fun car I’d not say no but don’t let heart rule head.
Check the 4wd. The Mercedes had diff locks F & R so check these. No good going on some grass and no 4wd eh!
Backlash in driveshafts is another tell tale of hard life. LR’s had a simple fix in new rear half-shafts and drive stars plus gaskets as a kit thus stopping all that transmission clatter.
A Mercedes kit won’t be as cheap if there is clatter but I think spares are on the whole available but pricey.
In the past as a spectator at AWDC events G Wagens were fantastic off-road but some drivers tended to go into a sticky place with diff-locks engaged….. the result was a vehicle which was very difficult to recover with a LR unless one had some very long ropes! Even then a rope snatch was quite a dangerous operation.
There you go;) my pennys worth.
S

Reactions: ONE

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Thanks, some good pointers there. Been too long since I shed my Lightweight and I fancy something a bit different for showing, but not so different that it becomes a garage queen while I'm searching globally for parts.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not my favourite 4x4 tbh but I've never owned one. IIRC the P4 does not have the front locking diff that made the G-Wagon such a great off-road vehicle; the transmission is not the same as a G-Wagon - but I may be wrong.

They are a bit long in the tooth now and parts are very hard to find and expensive.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I know a homme who knows a homme who can supply them at a reasonable money. He reckons they're the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but then he would say that as he's an enthusiast. As I said, I fancy a show vehicle that will also serve me as a country run about and being something of a Francophile they seem to fit the bill. Probably a bit more research to be done before parting with cash though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Generally spoken it's far easier to get German military surplus equipment used or new from the maker than the French equivalents.

If I don't get a new current AF bottle pouch, do I get spare parts for this extremely rare car?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE