petrol stove cleaning? help please!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I know many will be disparing at the use of a petrol stove - unfortunately i am going camping with a decent group of friends and the site doesnt allow for fires (although i have knocked together a little wood stove i am hopefull will be allowed).

The petrol stove is one which i last borrowed around 7 years ago and it worked a dream, but now the flame just gutters and dies, i suspect it hasnt been used in the interim.

What i would like to know is how on earth you clean these things, the item is;

a green briefcase looking apparel the lid lifts with two 'wings' which fold out to form the sides, underneath are two rings, the petrol can links to the outside of the box and the nozell passes through the first burner into a brass housing (no screw thread it just sits in there close to the burner, that always scared me...), You light the first burner for a while, turn a nozel on the petrol can then you are able to light the second. I have a look and beneath the burners there seem to be a little resevoire of petrol under the first burner. Im not clear if that should be there as you dont have to prime them.

Now i know a picture would be usefull but i dont have one... i'll go and see if the model is stamped on it somewhere and maybe some ingeniouse soul will be able to give me a pointer or two on how to clean it up and get it running propperly.

cheers all, and aitn it nice to be out and about now :)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
sounds like a coleman double burner. have a look at cleaning the jets and check the tubes that take the fuel/air mix up to the burner head, there might be some junk (spiders web for example) up there,

steve

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
its probably the generator pipe (vaporises the petrol befor its burns) thats blocked. i tried to clean the one on my coleman 442 stove but theres a thin cable that runs through it so you cant push a pipe cleaner through it so i had to buy a new one. your stove mite not have this thow:confused:

pete

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yip mine is a Coleman 424 or 442..?
There are no leather parts in mine that i can see.
So how do i actually clean out the inside - their does appear to be a thin almost like a little ariel wire coming out of it, so sounds like yours peter_t, presumably there are spares that can be bought? somewhere?

Thanks for the help - i wasnt keen on taking the spanner and pliers to it what with it being in close proximity to petrol after my bodgings....

Apr 10, 2009
West Berks
Many good outdoor/camping shops stock Coleman kit. Google 'Coleman' and you should find one near at hand. Now you know the model number you could google that.
What you are probably looking for is a generator for the stove as these get cloged and warn out. They are a replaceable unit and only require a spanner to fit. Worth checking any seals or O rings on unions.
All parts are availible from Coleman, try this link http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts/ProductImage2.asp?product_id=424-700
Or find a Coleman stockist and ask for help.
It is a dual fuel ( Coleman white gas or unleaded petrol). Coleman fuel is best but much more expensive than unleaded petrol and harder to find in out of the way places. Usually best to stick to one type of fuel. Cleaning of the works is best done by using petrol through the fuel system, do watch out for good ventilation and no naked flames!

rg598

Native
If the stove just goes out, you are not getting the fuel to the flame. If it was just an issue with the vaporization tube, you would just get burning liquid fuel in the stove. Either there is no flow through the tubes, or you are not generating enough pressure. Try pumping up the tank and then disconnect one of the tubes-see if presure is released. If there is pressure, then it is the tubes. I have no idea how to clean them on a stove this old. In the new models there is a cable inside the tube that you can pull out and use it for cleaning.

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
BT, Go to your nearest car parts/accessories supplier, & buy carb cleaner, I've just cleaned my coleman, wear some rubber or surgical gloves 'cos loads of crap comes out just squirt it up the pipes then fire it up and cook tea and put it on the shelf. Then make a wood burning stove 'cos in this country fuel is all around you and it alot more fun. Atb, Chas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE