Pelican canoes at Costco?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Does anyone know how much Costco are charging for the Pelican Explorer Canoe at the moment?

I enquired today by phone, they confirmed they have them in stock but wouldn't give me a price, as I'm not a member:p (yet)

I really would appreciate a bit of help with this one, as I'm on a seriously tight budget and don't want to waste the join up fee, just to find that I could have bought the boat on E Bay for the same money!:rolleyes:
I know they probably aren't the best Canadian in the world but on a budget, will do for a start.

Thanks in advance

R.B.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I think they normally retail for about £300 to 350, somewhere in there. I was on a course with a guy that had one and it handled great for flatwater stuff and some slow rivers.

There is better boats out there but not for that price and it'll get you on the water!

Cheers,

Alan

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The costco boats are great entry level canoes. They track OK and can handle moving water but they are extremely heavy compared to higher end plastic canoes made from Royalex. They are a third of the price though. The resell value of used open canoes is very good so your unlikely to lose much if after a year you decide to up garde to something easier to portage and more responsive on the water.

Another possibilty for a cheap entry level canoe is a glass fibre apache canoe. They go for around the £350 - £400 mark. Much more attractive than a Pelican but more suited to solo flat water paddling.

Check out song of the paddle for reviews of both craft.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
they are selling for £300 and you can join then leave and get all your money back at any time during the year. So nothing lost at all. When you walk in you should be able to see the canoes hanging up If you cant see them ask before you join.

Greg

I was going to go for one of the cosco ones , then I saw the Apache ones way better , you can buy the hull for £200 and fit the wood yourself works out around £250 max with a bit of your time spent I still dont have the funds yet though :(

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
What about Coleman canoes, does anyone know if they are any good?
I was thinking of buying my first canoe this year.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
As I understand it, coleman and pelican are very very similar, like just a rebranding exercise, Costco used to sell the colemans. There are various models of canoes under both brands but I don't know what's equivalent to what.

need to think about how big you need it and what you'll use it for.

Cheers,

Alan

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Thanks chainsaw,
Would probally use for two people max, a wee bit of fishing and camping on some Islands in the lochs.
Had my eye on a coleman ramx 14ft, thinking of the smaller size as would be lighter if i'm out myself.

cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE