Pee-Power !!!

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Good find, when the media has the world in a point of disaster and were all doomed, there comes light these girls are that light

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw this the other day, there are some pics of the girls and their invention here.

Folks in rural parts of Africa have smaller energy requirements than those who live in the cities, six hours worth of a couple of lightbulbs each night can make a big difference.

No indication as to output power however they are using what appears to be a modified generator so I'd guess that the output would be the same for that model of generator if it was running of petrol although perhaps for a different time period.

The process requires borax, which may require large petrol driven mining operations to procure or may be something you can dig out of the ground with a shovel, I don't know.

It also requires an electrolytic cell which will require energy to run and will use materials which are either coming from scrap pile or being dug out of the ground by large petrol driven mining operations.

The details are...

Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which cracks the urea into nitrogen, water, and hydrogen.

The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.

The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.

This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.

It is very cool to see some kids making something other than new devolved languages. :)

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So a really sharp knife would be advisable then, better yet an axe?

Good find that Elen, thanks for posting. I wish every success on those girls... and a Nobel prize as well.

I quite agree about the Nobel prize, would be really deserving unlike the usual twaddle. Folks, do post this around your networks, it really should be known far and wide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE