Peak district campsites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Can anyone recommend a campsite in the peak district that will allow the use of a wood stove in a tipi? I have phoned a couple and got a straight no. Ideally somewhere near Edale.

Thanks

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Thorpe cloud farm. at the foot of Dovedale. Really nice farmer. £4 per night per person. 50p for kids. Some trout in the river next to the two camping fields. Wood found in plenty if you walk about. fires allowed. dogs on lead as a working farm. respect and enjoy.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
We are back from a weeks honeymoon up there and had a similar issue finding a northern peaks campsite that would take our bell tent and woodstove.

Straight no's everywhere I tried. We ended up a couple of miles south east of Buxton about 40 mins drive away from where we wanted to be.

I had about an hour to find a campsite (somewhat disorganised!) and didn't find the Edale one you have been recommended hence plumped for the one nr Buxton.
Will follow thread with interest but suspect the one you have been pointed towards may be "the one"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Yeah, I'm beginning to think you are right stuey. I understand the reasons behind the no fires policy but am a little surprised this is also applies to stoves.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Yeah, I'm beginning to think you are right stuey. I understand the reasons behind the no fires policy but am a little surprised this is also applies to stoves.

Seems to all come to down to insurance or at least that's the excuse I have been fed the most.

I had some crazy discussions over my 60 minute search!

Answers included :

No.

Sorry we don't accept fires of any sort.

No our insurers won't allow it.

No there is a risk of death with having a fuel burning appliance in your tent.. People have died you know!

No, we don't want the kind of people that are associated with campfires on our campsite.

The Peak District is mainly peat, the risk of a spreading fire is too great for us to take.

My stock answers in no particular order included :

It isn't an open fire.
It is designed to be used in a tent.
It is an enclosed woodburner flued outside the tent so an incredibly low risk of gas poisoning.
I have heated my house with a woodburner for the last 20 years and previously lived with my parents who did the same. I am experienced in the use of woodburning stoves.
I'm a grown-up and risk assess on a daily basis as part of my job.
I'm not sure what kind of person you are suggesting I am with that comment?

Maybe as popularity of canvas tents with woodburners grows knowledge amongst camp site owners will spread and doors will open?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Maybe as popularity of canvas tents with woodburners grows knowledge amongst camp site owners will spread and doors will open?

I'm sure you are right. I imagine many campsite owners have no idea what a purpose made stove for a tipi/bell tent is! The idea that I would risk the life of my two year old son and pregnant wife is actually pretty insulting, but I don't tend to take these things too personally :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE