Paul Baker Knife Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
I bought this knife after seeing it at the KNIVESUK show in Bristol. I purchased it and collected it from Pauls workshop in Stroud. I've had it a while now so heres a small review.

*- Photo's are in Image Shack - you'll see a bigger and better quality pic. Can you believe I took these photo's on a Sony mobile phone!!! -*

It's the 'Outback' model, designed specifically for Bushcraft - standard design really.

my.php

Included is a good wet moulded leather belt sheath.

my.php

It's got a tiger maple wood handle, brass bolts and has 01carbon tool steel.

my.php

my.php

The knife is handmade by Paul from his home/ workshop in Stroud. It's your standard Bushcraft knife really - very similar to a Woodlore.
The blade is 4 ¼" long, as is the handle - 8 ½" overall. Personally the length of the handle is perfect and very comfortable. The wood has been shaped so well you cannot feel the spine of the blade whatsoever.
The grind is a little small (width wise) to what I'm used to in Swedish knife grinds (being quite wide), so I've had a little trouble sharpening it - it seem to have a slight convex, even though its a flat grind.

The overall finish is excellent. The tiger maple is beautiful, top grade wood (get it at the right angle and it really shows off its stripes), the bolts and lanyard hole are solid brass, also fixed and shaped so well you can't feel them. The carbon steel blade has a brushed finish, and the cutting edge polished. And finally the makers mark and logo - which finishes off the knife well.

In use, it is very comfortable to hold, in all positions. When cutting - as I said I'm used to Swedish blades - you do have to tilt it forward a little more in order for it to bite. The spine of the blade is rough - perfect for the use with a firesteel, which works brilliantly.

The leather sheath I wouldn't say is as good a quality as the knife, but is to be expected as this is a professional knife maker, not a leather worker. But still very good, and I understand is better then they have been in previous years.
It has good thick leather, dyed nicely and wet moulded. The stitching not great, but ok. It also has a firesteel holder, again using very thick leather, so origionally looked like it could only take a mini steel. But with a bit of encouragement I managed to shove in a larger steel, hence the now option to invert it (as pictured).

It's still not cheap, at £165 but its well worth it if you want a good reliable Bushcraft knife. And you get to make up your own specifications for no extra cost. I got it a little cheaper than this, as I didn't get to choose any options - it was already made up.

So, overall a very good and very impressivley handmade Bushcraft knife and highly recommended. Why bother with a Woodlore, with the stupidly long waiting list, no different handle wood options and with the money you save you could buy yourself another Swanndri...

BushmanUK.co.uk

Any questions or want more pics...?

Hi Theo,
Nice reveiw and lovely looking knife.
I've had bushman TZ for about three years now, cracking knife and wearing very well indeed. I found Paul to be relly helpful from the word go, and not only a craftsman but an enthuiast as well. I bumped into him at Weston park last September. Bearing in mind we'd only spoken on the phone before, after a couple of minuites and with no more infomation than he had made a knife for me and sent it to Wales he produced a picture of it and declared ''thats yours is'nt it''. Overall a top bloke with an excellent product who is never to busy to just have a natter. SWTSMBOBUI wandered round the knife makers tent for ages searching for a knife and in the end Paul brought one out let her have it for £70. Can't say fairer than that.
Cheers Tim

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
Absolutley, Paul is a top bloke, a friend to everyone who meets him. He truly is passionate about what he does - when I popped round to collect the knife, he showed me pretty much every other project he had going - really easy to talk to, like you've known him for years.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Tim, SWTSMBOBUI? (She who Thinks She Must Be Obeyed But Usually Isn't)?

Theo,
nice review. I've seen Tim's knife and it is very nice indeed. Yours looks like a true user, you must be very proud. Tell me, how thick is the blade? I seem to remember Paul 's are usually 4mm. The sheath looks like a vast improvement over his (very) early ones. Yup, nice all round there; it's an investment as well as a tool and i'm sure it will serve you well.

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
Hi Jedadiah, yeah this knife is also has a 4mm thick blade. Not brilliant for carving, as its pretty thick and can seen quite cumbersome, but excellent for splitting and heavy duty jobs - a great general cutting tool.
It will just take a little getting used to I guess.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nice review, thanks for that :)

My permanant bushcraft knife is also a Paul Baker and I'm very very happy with it...should do a review of it myself really but hay ho, I used it on my WEISS course and it didn't let me down so that's all the review it needs as far as I'm concerned ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE