Patrol into MRE Heaters ??

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Something I've often thought myself, I'll tell you what I'll take a hit tomorrow and let you know. Personally I don't think there'll be enough heat to fully heat the meal. I'll not bother with temp readings just if it was okay to eat. I'll drop a line in tomorrow

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Having looked at your post properly I don't think that you'll be able to sensibly heat the dehydrated food to rehydrate and get to a temp that's acceptable, in normal circumstances, to eat. I'll try the normal boil in a bag meal though and let you know.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Okay tried the normal UK Mil boil in the bag meals I even wrapped it in my headover to retain the heat. I got it at a temp that's just about okay to eat in normal circumstances.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Nick,

The MRE heaters are designed for 'wet' food and MRE sized pouches, which are a different size to the UK meal pouches. The MRE food pouches are long and thin with less content, hence the design of the heater pouch. That is why it is sometimes necessary to use 2 heaters for a UK meal pouch in arctic conditions or when the meal is very cold.
A dehydrated meal pouch needs boiling water added and then left to stand for 5-10 mins in order to properly reconstitute. I doubt very much that the heater could do this for you.
One way around this could be to add the water to the meal a couple of hours before use so that it can absorb lots of liquid but it then needs to be cooked lika a conventional meal. I have used roasting bags for this, they can be roasted or boiled so you can drop the bag into a pot with boiling water and this cooks the meal.
They are actualy a great addition to any bushcrafter's kit because you can empty canned food into a roasting bag at home and carry it in a sac safely for the day, saving weight and rubbish to be carried. It also keeps your pot clean and provides water for a brew and a hot meal at the same time.
I have even wrapped a tickled trout in a bag, packed it in grass and mud for a great steamed fish meal.

regards

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The MRE heaters are designed for 'wet' food and MRE sized pouches

Yip, knew that.

, which are a different size to the UK meal pouches. The MRE food pouches are long and thin with less content, hence the design of the heater pouch. That is why it is sometimes necessary to use 2 heaters for a UK meal pouch in arctic conditions or when the meal is very cold.

Right, never used Uk rations so good info.

A dehydrated meal pouch needs boiling water added and then left to stand for 5-10 mins in order to properly reconstitute. I doubt very much that the heater could do this for you.
One way around this could be to add the water to the meal a couple of hours before use so that it can absorb lots of liquid but it then needs to be cooked lika a conventional meal. I have used roasting bags for this, they can be roasted or boiled so you can drop the bag into a pot with boiling water and this cooks the meal.

Good ideas. I have done this with fresh egg pasta. Did it for hillwalking. Re-heated it at the summit.

They are actualy a great addition to any bushcrafter's kit because you can empty canned food into a roasting bag at home and carry it in a sac safely for the day, saving weight and rubbish to be carried. It also keeps your pot clean and provides water for a brew and a hot meal at the same time.
I have even wrapped a tickled trout in a bag, packed it in grass and mud for a great steamed fish meal.

Yeas, the heaters are handy. Great for keeping hands warm well after the heaters has heated the food.

Thanks

Nick

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
While out on patrols in a certain op area, we used to scab these off the yanks (and the meals when we could!!). What we used to do with our (uk rats) was to push the food down to one end and fold empty part of pouch over to fit it in. About half way through (adding a bit longer onto time cos of more contents) we then would turn them around, so as to heat right through. Quick and easy when we couldnt leave them on top of the vehicle to heat up under the heat of the sun. Hope this helps. ;)

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Forgot to mention Nick, dont put as much water in as the uk rats push it out the top if you fill to line. Another reason why to leave a bit longer.

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
You can also get Canadian ration heaters (bigger versions of the US ones). A few years ago I bought a couple in a Blacks sale in Swansea. They were packaged in 'Wayfarer' (the company that used to make the British army rations) packaging.

They fit unfolded British ration pouches perfectly, but I'm not too sure if they are still available on the British high street.

See my thread here for pictures:

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66&highlight=

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE