Parking on / at Dartmoor

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Hi Folks, Myself and two friends have got our passes stamped by the wifes for a two nighter on Dartmoor. We are well prepaired but have no idea where we can leave a car without returning to find it in pieces. Any ideas would be fantastic help please.

Many thanks

MB:)

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Don't leave it in one of the roadside car parks or its bound to be done over, where are you starting from? I generally leave it in a village the walk in and have no problems.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i use the carpark in princetown, or a private car park in widdecombe thats £1.30 per day and run by the villiage shop ,as above wouldnt leave it in one of the moor layby,s overnight its just tempting fate.
the two suggested carparks have very easy access to either side of the moor.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have parked at venford Reservoir quite a few times for 6 days at the most, and had no problems while walking up to Oakhampton, down the western side to Plym bridge and back up via the river Plym an Burrator res so didnt get to check on it at all, this is not me saying its fine or a good spot, just my personal experience,

garethw

Settler
What's the UK coming to when you can't even park your car in a remote beauty spot without being $h1t scared it will be done over while you are away... Are things really that bad nowadays???

I regularly leave my vehicle in remote areas of France for hike and camping trips.... around by me I often don't even lock it... not had a problem in 12 years.

I've not lived inthe UK for 26 years... so no idea how it is these days...

cheers
Gareth

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Lots of sound advice and comments , all unfortunately realistic , won't stick my nose in too far , but once you have decided on a start-finish point , PM me and i will tell you where is safe to park , some places may involve a small charge .

Ivan...

ps south side of the moor .

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Cheers Screwdriver, went on your advice to Widdecombe. Car park was great lovely people who run it and it was £1.60 per day !! how cheap is that. We all had food and drink from the Shed/shop (a nice change from rat packs) Thanks again MB

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
A growing amount of brainless work shy chavie rubbish with no respect or understanding of anything but their own wants. England is a great country and a beautiful land, its just we have a rubbish out of touch goverment / system supporting a growing amount of rubbish people who contribute nothing just take and destroy. I love the woods because it holds no intrest for the wasters we have over here. They do not understand it's beauty and what is gives us. Rant over ............ Dartmoor is stunning and the people we met while away were top rate. MB

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi MB, glad you and your pals had a great time , think i was right in shying you away from Princetown for your first visit (bet you will be back ) careful telling them all how beautiful it is , the country will tip up with the rush , thanks for the kind PM , glad i was of a little help .

Ivan...

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
no worries marsbar glad you had a good time, car park price must have gone up in the last few weeks:(.
to be honest, when you realise how central this carpark is and you can park overnight safely its well worth it ,so much so i very rarley use princetown now except for the chip shop

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Dead right T , plus the money goes to the local School. Great advise. Thanks again. ps I will try the chip shop next time i'm there:) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE