Parasols-a-plenty YUM YUM!

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I was deerstalking/bushcrafting in Sussex this w/e. Didn't get any deer (though had two wonderful 10yard encounters!) but filled my belly with delicious Parasol mushrooms.

There were an abundance of these huge fungi in the wood where I shoot. Some had taken a hammering from the slugs but still plenty for breakfast. I haven't eaten them before and took great care over i.d. The books were right -"excellent eating".

These require some care with id as there are similar shrooms which are toxic -my field guide was insufficiently detailed (hand painted illustrations) but my main reference allowed good i.d.

I will post some pics with my watch included for scale. These pics should not be used to i.d. the fungi, though.

Highly recommended eating!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There are comments made about how to use them, my favourite was removing the stalk, turning the whole thing upside down and start adding tomatoe puree, cheese, ham, pepperoni/salami, chillies, peppers etc. Stick in the oven and have a parasol mushroom pizza!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got some massive shaggy parasols yesterday. Some people can be allergic (don't digest it) so we had about quarter a cap each. Bit tastless compared to the parasols which are fanatisic. Quite a few of the various species we had yesterday were very watery, and were milder in taste than have been in previous years.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We found masses of parasols last week when we spent a few days up the woods, ive seen them up my woods before but never in the quantities that i have seen this year

Dscn5047.jpg

Dscn5046.jpg

Dscn5029.jpg

Some of them were absolutely huge, very tasty though:)

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
In the Czech Republic, these are eaten by beating the cap flat, dipping in egg, covering in breadcrumbs then shallow frying. Eat with lots of saly and dry brown bread.

Delish!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE