Parasites catchable in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We've all been talking about nasties such as ticks and others potentially caught in untreated water etc so i thought it would be a good idea to get a realistic discussion on what parasites you are at risk from within the UK when outdoors and what precautions you can take to avoid them. Let's mark things with a questionmark if we are not sure and maybe we can get an answer?

Ok to start us off:

CRYPTOSPORIDIUM-mainly found found in water contaminated with animal faeces (deer, sheep, cattle etc). Risk V High. Assume all water is contaminated.
Transmission-feacal-oral route
Symptom-severe diarrhea, dehydration, exhaustion.
Treatment in the field-supportive, rehydration and good hygene. In healthy individuals, it will clear up in several weeks, but may return.
Prevention-Good hygene, treat all water (chlorine resistant).

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Headlice.
This came up in conversation at work today. Unsurprisingly, they're more resilient to more gentle modern chemical treatments than older treatments that have been, erm, withdrawn. Plying organophosphates :rolleyes: on kids' heads just isn't PC these days. :D Using conditioner and a comb to get them out is supposed to be very effective.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This came up in conversation at work today. Unsurprisingly, they're more resilient to more gentle modern chemical treatments than older treatments that have been, erm, withdrawn. Plying organophosphates :rolleyes: on kids' heads just isn't PC these days. :D Using conditioner and a comb to get them out is supposed to be very effective.

:eek: is "Nitty Nora the bug explorer" not at school any more?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't even know some of them existed here :eek:

What "is" a chigger ?? and Sarcoptic mange ??
and can vegans catch liver fluke ???

off to google

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scabies :rolleyes: .......coal tar shampoo or tea tree oil applied topically kills the blighters........probably contra indicated, i.e. not allowed nowadays though.

cheers,
M

You can catch flukes from wild water cress.
Mange is very common in domestic animals and wildlife, I think it goes in cycles. So handling fresh dead stuff is a risk.

A lot of worms can be caught from handling feacal matter, so if you are tracking and are checking out the trots of some animal, wear gloves. I've seen folk sticjk their fingers into swan crap thinking it was otter spraint and it moved and wriggled! :eek:
Chiggers, berry bugs...phew I got them in Mull last year by just lying on the grass...ITCHY as heck absolutey crazy itchy!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never even seen them.....what we call a berry bug is a kind of mini-mini weevil that bites a circular patch out of the skin.........usually found on raspberrys for some reason :sigh: They don't hang around, they just bite for the hell of it, it seems.

Good thread :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I didnt realize there were chiggers here. I have gotten bites over here that are similar to the chigger bites from Florida didnt think they were the same. To get rid of them put a little clear fingernail polish on them.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
How about Viles disease. I don't know much about it other than you can catch it from rats? Some more information would be good if anyone knows.

When I was in Germany in the Army, a mate of mine had an insect that burrowed under his flesh/skin on his hip, when he was taking an Eartha Kitt in the woods, when we were on excercise. He had it cut out at the med centre. I don't know what it was, but wondered if we have it over here? Has anyone heard of such a bug,that can burrow under the skin in the UK? I think it attached itself to him when he squatted and it burrowed in without him realising it was there. :eek:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
How about Viles disease. I don't know much about it other than you can catch it from rats? Some more information would be good if anyone knows.
:

Weils disease or leptrospirosis is a bacteria that can survive on surface of river banks etc. You would be at risk by ingesting water contaminated by Rat urine (Brown rat) or contaminating cuts/grazes with such water..

Symptoms :

Prolonged headache & flu like fever.

The bacteria can not survive when dry!!

John

Scabies :rolleyes: .......coal tar shampoo or tea tree oil applied topically kills the blighters........probably contra indicated, i.e. not allowed nowadays though.

cheers,
M

i never knew about the tea tree solution. i'll pass that on to my friends. the stuff the doctor gives you is apparently some sort of petroleum jelly. i'm guessing it soaks into the skin and poisons or suffocates the little sods

to be on the safe side i've replaced all my clothes and bedding both times i've caught them.

i've been told using petrol as shampoo and then tying a plastic bag on your head to keep the fumes in burns and suffocates lice. can't confirm from direct experience, but sounds pretty credible. best stay away from the fire though, and don't light up!

i haven't caught lice since high school, one of the many advantages of my preffered hairstyle

the worst thing about scabies is you can't be sure if they're gone till about a month after treatment cos it takes that long for the itching to fully disappear and you have to spend that whole time like a leper, not hugging anyone and avoiding upholstered furniture

Weils disease or leptrospirosis is a bacteria that can survive on surface of river banks etc. You would be at risk by ingesting water contaminated by Rat urine (Brown rat) or contaminating cuts/grazes with such water..

Symptoms :

John

have you got a link to a page about weils disease, a laymans guide sort of thing? i know a lot of people who could benefit from this knowledge

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon

Symptoms :

John

aahhhh well done Hunter, you spotted my deliberate spelling mistake. :confused: :eek:
Thanks for the info. Those brown rats have got a lot to answer for over the decades. Horrible little things.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
have you got a link to a page about weils disease, a laymans guide sort of thing? i know a lot of people who could benefit from this knowledge

As a Pest controller I deal with issues surrounding Weils disease every day. I've no links but I take the disease serious, and carry a card detailing my occupation and exposure risk to Weils disease, should I be taken ill.
The main problem is that most people (and dogs!!) will be diagnosed way too late to receive any real help. Most doctors will not diagnose unless they have very good reason to believe you may have the disease.
You would be at equal risk should a rat urinate on your cooking utensils whilst camping for example. As luck would have it, less than 0.0001% of the UK rat population carries the disease. Note: Cattle also carry and transmit the disease through urine and dung.

John

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Headlice.
Dont send your kids to school to avoid them.

Headlice do not like the smell of vanilla. So if you keep a comb in a glass of water with a few drops of pure vanilla extract in it, and comb your hair with it before you go out among peope, the lice go jump on some other poor bugger.

If you do actually catch them, thouraghly soak the hair in malt vinegar, wrap tightly in clingfilm, and leave for 24 hours. Then wash hair, and comb with a fine toothed comb. problem solved.

Of course, headlice prefer clean hair to dirty, so most of you guys will be fine. ;-)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Ticks....I've had quite a few when doing conservation work around heathland.

I've never had any problems relating to them, like infections or pain.

they are tiny and I've never felt them catch a ride, worst thing is they tend to head for warm areas of skin.

Iv'e had them on my shins thighs and around the rib area, again, no pain no discomfort, no itching. once i hadn't noticed one for a couple of days it stayed even after showering.

I've found that many bugs are held at bay by Citronella oil mixed into shower-gel.
Just add a few drops to shower-gel (obviously try it first).

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE