Paraffin Stove Problem

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've recently renovated a brass 'Primus'-style paraffin stove and had a go at lighting it the other day. Whilst the pump seems to be working OK, I found that the jet of fuel was not consistent and I didn't seem to get the 'roar' - more of a yellow 'flame'.

Do I need to enure that the level of paraffin in the tank is above a certain level (say, half full?) and what should the jet of fuel look like? Should it be a fairly thick jet or more of a very narrow jet?

If you think the burner tubes need cleaning, what's best way to do this? I have already run it through with some solvent and removed a lot of carbon but there could be more in the more inaccessible places!

Any advice appreciated.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
How long did you have it running as parafin takes a while to get up to temperature, also I have found that about three quarters full is best.

Right - I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how I got on. I think there was not enough fuel in it.

By the way, you at St Mawgan?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
sounds like it needs a bit more priming - once it's up to working temperature you shouldn't 'see' the jet as it should be vapourising inside the stove, and burning a blue flame like a gas burner..

also try cleaning the jet hole with a 'pricker' .

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
sounds like it needs a bit more priming - once it's up to working temperature you shouldn't 'see' the jet as it should be vapourising inside the stove, and burning a blue flame like a gas burner..

also try cleaning the jet hole with a 'pricker' .

Roger that.

So: 3/4 full, ***** jet and more reheat.

It's one of the Korean-made copy stoves that someone (Gaah! Can't remember who it was!) swapped on this site. It's a classic style and looks just like this:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/exploded%20views/Optimus/00%20Camper.htm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sounds like a Shinobro, good stove, well made. Prime the stove well with meths, once lit, let it burn a few seconds then pump the stove. Don't be afraid to pump the stove well. The less fuel in a tank the more pumps you need, but once you get the hang of it you can light the stove with very little fuel in it.

Have you checked for air leaks on the stove? Empty the tank, pump up pressure and dunk in a bucket of water, this will show up leaks (don't submerse the burner).

If you are going to clean the burner, remove the jet first. A lot of fellow collectors use 'heat and quench' Heat burner head to red heat and quench in cold water, this really does get shot of the carbon build up.

A vinegar soaking is good for getting muck off the outside of the stove, try half an hour at a time and check. Don't over soak or the brass goes pink and its a bugger to polish then. Get the bath right and it really does cut down on the brasso/elbow grease time :)

PM me if I can be of any help

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Mikey,
twas me who you did the swap with. I did have the same trouble with the one i kept. After a bit of reserch, i started running it on coleman type fuel and not parafin. My one runs really well on coleman ( somebody please tell me it won't explode). The confusing thing is they have kerosene stamped on the side. parafin, coleman, kerosene, i don't really know the difference.
Hope this helps
Baggins

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Mikey,
twas me who you did the swap with. I did have the same trouble with the one i kept. After a bit of reserch, i started running it on coleman type fuel and not parafin. My one runs really well on coleman ( somebody please tell me it won't explode). The confusing thing is they have kerosene stamped on the side. parafin, coleman, kerosene, i don't really know the difference.
Hope this helps
Baggins

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL IN THESE STOVES FOR FIGS SAKE :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

When I calm down, I'll try and offer some help

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
rik_uk - deep breaths, mate. Deep breaths.

Right - a partial success:

a. 3/4 full tank. Left it pre-heating with meths for a while until hot enough.​
b. Closed valve and pumped (the stove, that is). ;)
c. Got nice roaring blue flame. :D
d. Flame died down within seconds.:( Came back again when pumped.:D

This suggests I have an air leak. rik - any common places for air leaks or might I be missing a washer somewhere?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
If you removed the burner assembly from the tank the seal there may be missing, also the seals on the fuel inlet and the pressure release valve may be faulty too. It may be worth checking/replacingthem.

This forum has some nice tips for rebuilding stoves http://www.spiritburner.com/forum/

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
rik_uk - deep breaths, mate. Deep breaths.

Right - a partial success:

a. 3/4 full tank. Left it pre-heating with meths for a while until hot enough.​
b. Closed valve and pumped (the stove, that is). ;)
c. Got nice roaring blue flame. :D
d. Flame died down within seconds.:( Came back again when pumped.:D

This suggests I have an air leak. rik - any common places for air leaks or might I be missing a washer somewhere?

Mickey, do the water dunk test, that will show where the leak is, let me know where and I may well have the spares you need

Richard

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Roger the Cat, Meow.

I'll do the dunk test as from your's and JohnC's emails, it looks like it's probably a leak. It'll have to be tomorrow night though as I'm hosting at a function tonight :)yuck: !!!).

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Pumps were the main fixs req'd on all paraffin lamps and burners when we had scout camps.

The leather expands out when pushing then it might be leaking ?

Nick
When you push the pump in it squeezes the air through a non return valve fitted at the inner end of the pump tube - if that was leaking the pressure would tend to push the pump rod back out (probably with fuel as the end of the pump is usually below the fuel level in the tank.

If the pump leather was in poor repair you wouldn't build up as much pressure on the forward stroke as the air would be leaking around the washer, so less air is forced through the non-return valve and into the tank :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Right, the moment you've been waiting for...

Pumped the tank, popped it in a bucket...no bubbles. Bum.

Left it for abut 20 secs, then took it out, released the air valve and a nice hiss. So, the tank itself seems to be keeping pressure. Does this mean there is potentially an air leak somewhere in the burner assembly? It is pretty old.

From the diagram I've looked at, there are a couple of O-rings on the tank cap and the filler cap. The rest seem to be lead packing or something called 'caimonite'? on the bits which get hot.

So, what's next? I'll try and light it again this week or weekend and see what happens. Alternatively, is it possible to get replacement packing and washers for the stove? I'm wondering just whether I should replace all of the washers and packing on the burner, caps and pump just to be sure.

You'll all be pleased to hear that I've just started renovating a Tilley Stormlight! Yay! Standby, standby. :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi Mikey,
Hope this helps
Baggins

Kersosine, Kerosene, Kero, lamp oil, Jet-A fuel and Paraffin are all the same thing.

Coleman fuel is petrol!!!!!

Dear God man, DONT run this stove on petrol - ever, that means coleman fuel, naptha, panel wipe, unleaded or any other variant.

It will work, but it's not designed to be used with petrol and is very dangerous with that fuel. The way you shut off a parafin stove is to open the pressure valve and let the pressurised gas out until the flame dies. That's not a problem with paraffin, because it's basically an oil and not very volatile. But petrol is increadibly volatile. If you depressurise a lit petrol stove without shutting the flame off first, you'll let out a big cloud of pressurised petrol vapour wich only needs a spark to become a very hot, very big fireball. That's why all petrol stoves, have a positive shut-off which allows you to turn the flame off before you depressurise the tank. Paraffin stoves dont have this shut-off, because they dont need them.

If you carry on using petrol in it, at some point you will probably be enveloped in a fireball and that means a helicopter ride to the burns unit, skin grafts and a nice, new toupe. If you use this stove inside a tent with petrol in it, you probably wont survive - though you would qualify for a Darwin award, which would make for an interesting thread or two on the forums.

The good news is you can buy Paraffin from B&Q for about £1 per litre, whereas Coleman fuel is about £10 per litre. So by using Paraffin, you get to save money as well as your life. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE