Paraffin Lamps - fuel

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Does anyone know if I can use PARASENE rather than Paraffin in my Vapalux M320s?? The local B&Q doesn't stock Paraffin & it's a bit of a shlep to Dobies who do. I don't want to bugger up my lamps though.

Many thanks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't know anything about parasene but have you tried looking in your local garden centre for Paraffin?

They usually stock it for greenhouse heaters.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Don't know anything about parasene but have you tried looking in your local garden centre for Paraffin?

They usually stock it for greenhouse heaters.

Yep mate, that's the problem. It looks like they're stocking Parasene for greenhouse heaters rather than Paraffin. It does say that it contains Kerosene but not sure if I should put it in the lamps. Thanks for the reply.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Actually - having Googled it, which I should have done in the first place:rolleyes: - Parasene seems to be a trade name. So I reckon that the container contains Paraffin, certainly smells like it.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
My local pound shops sell hurricane lanterns for £2.99 and the fuel they sell for them is Terpentine Substitute at £1.99. That's what I always use in my cheap lantern and it works fine. If you have a nice lantern you might want to be a bit more specific what you run through it though...

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
As stated Parasene is a brand name who sell greenhouse heaters etc. but all run on paraffin.

Try your local allotment society for paraffin - usually around half the price of shops. Regards, Geoff.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As said Parasene is just a brand, paraffin yes also some BBQ lighter fuel is in fact clear paraffin, B&M 'Flamefeast' and Wilkinson's own BBQ fluid is perfect and both come in 1 litre bottles. Its handy to know someone in Wilkinson's as the stores reduce all the fuel at the end of the summer, last several years I've had LOTS of paraffin at about 45p a litre :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE