Paracordist's Tactical Bola transforms from new instant unravel self defense key fob

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I like very much this idea and look forward to the tutorial on how to make it. Thanks for sharing.

(As you say in the video you don't have a name for it yet can I suggest "quick release bola keyring" dropping the word tactical, which is, I think, a much over used word!)

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
thanks for the name idea; I'm with you on "tactical" but its a buzz word that helps get things seen unfortunately! I like your name suggestion.

so here's the pic of the finished design version of my "quick release bola keyring" ;) still not sure what i'm going to name it. what I did differently is:
1. fully integrated the monkeys fists rather than tie them on. approx. 14' of paracord was used
2. length shortented fist to fist from 6' to 4'. I did this so I have the option if tying a third "leg" onto the bola and still have it not too long to wield (perhaps a future video for comparison)
3. No loop tied into the middle between the fists when extended
4. inverted the design so the cord is released by pulling the monkey fists rather than the other side; this allows the fist to align straight out of the weave
5. blaze orange so I have an easier time finding it in the back yard woods!

aea39c45.jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Wouldn't cow-hitching your keys onto the loop, or using a small snaphook or biner, be preferable. As it is, it looks like your keys are captive between the two monkey's fists. Blaze orange or not you could easily lose your keys if they remained attached to your bola.

Last edited:

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
Wouldn't cow-hitching your keys onto the loop, or using a small snaphook or biner, be preferable. As it is, it looks like your keys are captive between the two monkey's fists. Blaze orange or not you could easily lose your keys if they remained attached to your bola.
Good observation. The split ring was just for the picture.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
How legal would that be in the eyes of the law. I know it's depressing that everything comes down to this nowadays, but what are the chances that the police would take a dim view of it?

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
How legal would that be in the eyes of the law. I know it's depressing that everything comes down to this nowadays, but what are the chances that the police would take a dim view of it?
I live in the state of New Hampshire, USA. Our state motto is Live Free or Die. We have 80% forest coverage and we can buy and carry virtually any knife, gun or weapon legally. This State also has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Somi guess i dont have to worry!

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Ahh, over here in the UK it's a tad different. As someone noted once on this forum, when commenting on the restrictions on camfires (I think) "You guys need a licence to take a cr@p in the woods."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE