Paracord

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Justr got my 200 foot from RB ( groupbuy ) and i was wondering what the initial intended use was for paracord. Not for parachutes surely?
Why where and when was it developed. I know we all use it for different things but i was interested in the initial intended use of the different grades.
Cheers
Ian

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not too sure exactly, but in my Airmobile days we had various strengths of paracord which was used to tie the chains up (pre-tension them) when air lifting Land Rovers under Chinook helicopters. If the chains are slack, they snatch as the kit is lifted and can damage the vehicle badly. We used really fine paracord for that so it would break away.

We used really thick stuff when we made up cargo nets of equipment, to hold the kit in place within the net. You would think kit was just thrown into a net and that was that, but it was a bit more complicated than that!!

Normal size paracord was kicking about but in white, I don't think it got used for anything other than putting lanyards on knives and keys though!! :rolleyes:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Yep, parachute cord.

Of course it is used for everything from shoe laces to shelter building. Don't know how much you have to pay over there but we pay $.05 per foot for the good stuff.

I get 1200 foot rolls for $60, but even a 100 foot hank goes for $5. No cut on the price until you order 12,000 feet, that is 10 full rolls.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The true 550 cord is designed for parachutes, mainly the ones in aircraft ejection seats. Paratrooper chutes are larger, have more lines and actually use a 375lb cord. It has fewer inner strands, 5 if I recall, opposed to 7 inner strands in 550 cord.
As for field use, anything from shelter building, pack strap repairs, tying things on to packs, laundry drying line, even use it in winter to pull dead limbs from trees to have a fire on a snowy surface, when wood gathering is impossible on the snow covered ground. Just add a weight, toss it over the dead limb and pull down, remember to stand clear:) Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE