Paracord and sea water

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
can paracord survive being in sea water for ages? i want to use it to secure my crab and shrimp traps to the shore overnight and at high tide during the day, so it will probably be out for 12+ hours per day for weeks and will have to hold the trap tight while being moved around by the sea and also probably being pulled in from the sea (and being very heavy and full of crabs hopefully :) ) and possibly from under sand that it might have got buried under (though i will try to place them where that wont happen)
so can the mighty paracord survive a battering by the sea?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Paracord is a man made cord ie plastic and should hold up well to the sea. The only downfall is its girth. Its linear strength should be fine but as its a woven cord and not laid, you may have problems with abrasion by sand particles. Try tying a bit to a heavy rock and leaving it a couple of weeks to see how it holds up. Then if it doesn't work all you lose is a length of cord. Good luck

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i will try that but it will probably get stolen lol! if i cant then i will just use it when i go (to scotland for 2 weeks) and use strong fishing line too so if the paracord goes i will still be able to retrieve it.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
thanks, i will probably use that as well as the paracord. i do hope the paracord works for this because i have LOADS of it lol!

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Buy yourself an industrial size spool of strimmer line. It's kind of like fishing line but stupidly strong, manufactured to be abrasion resistant and thick enough to handle without cutting yourself on it. It's also fairly cheap.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
thanks, buying it all now, shame i have to wait till july to use it! i have decided to get some more paracord (100ft), 2 traps and 76m of strimmer line. thanks for the help everyone! i will tell you what works and whether i get anything when i get back!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE