Parachutes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Although they're not exactly waterproof if you pitch them steep enough they will keep off most of the rain.
They're certainly not lightweight though and not something you'd want to carry by foot over any great distance.

leon-1

Nice idea, but chutes tend to be quite large to carry.

I suppose there may be a solution in making a four panel pyramid from parasilk and washing it in something like TX10. The problems that I can see with that though would be getting the neccesary width in the first place.

leon-1

My parachute with an 8m diameter weighs on my not-very-accurate bathroom scales about 3kg. I can just get it into a gymn bag - so that's about 35x30x20cm. Better off carrying a tarp or tent.

Yeah, in full agreement with the better off carrying a tarp statement due to size and weight of a full canopy.

However what about creating a 4m canopy with fewer bits of paracord running through it and less material. Make it like a four sided teepee was what I started to think about, then I started to think about how many panels it would take to make such a beast, hence the statement about "widths". I was talking about parasilk on the roll, what is the maximum width you can buy it in?

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
However what about creating a 4m canopy with fewer bits of paracord running through it and less material. Make it like a four sided teepee was what I started to think about, then I started to think about how many panels it would take to make such a beast, hence the statement about "widths". I was talking about parasilk on the roll, what is the maximum width you can buy it in?

Genuine parachute nylon as required from one U.S. Federal procurement agency has to be 58 and 1/2 inch wide.

Someone on e-bay is offering "parachute nylon" at 38 inches wide.

Just for interest, here is a pdf documents with the specs for official parachute nylon - or at least one type of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE