Parachute

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Hi

I've convinced my group to get a parachute and have got a good condition unslashed with about 12" of paracord left on the ends.

Next question, how to rig it? I saw that at the bushmoot it was on a high line, tensioned by ratchet straps? I didn't pay any attention to how it was pegged out... also it had a section slit out of it as an entrance - is there a reason for the slit?

Cheers,

T

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I picked mine up for £55 - didn't realise there'd been a group buy :( oh well! I could have paid another £5 for the lines being left on! Double oh-well :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can hang them the 'traditional' way like Wayland and John or pitch like a tent. You can hang the chute or support internally. In these pictures we'd knocked up a trippod support but now use (don't laugh) extendible clothes line poles from Wilkinsons, less than £3 and we use two, one each side of the wood burner and they open up to well over 2m

100_2968.jpg

100_2966Custom-1.jpg

100_2964Custom-1.jpg

100_2959.jpg

100_2954Custom-1.jpg

100_2949Custom-1.jpg

100_2942Custom-1.jpg

You saw it here first :)

If you use an open fire under a chute the smoke tar will give some degree of waterproof quality to the chute but we are now going to use a 7x5m polytarp as a 'flysheet because as the chute is now more a tent we use a woodburner/coal in it.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
We're looking to use it as somewhere kids can do activities, and we're also thinking about using it as a sort of marquee at our outdoor music events.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... parachute ... how to rig it? I saw that at the bushmoot it was on a high line, tensioned by ratchet straps?

Ratchet straps seems a bit excessive but if you've got it, use it. I just find a couple of likely-looking trees about forty or fifty feet apart with suitable side branches, and throw a log tied to a bit of cord over a high branch on each tree. The cord needs to be long enough to let the log come back down the tree so you can tie it off low down where you can reach it, or you're going to have to climb the tree to retrieve the cord. You don't want to leave it up there, partly because it's untidy and it costs money but mostly because it can be very nasty for wildlife.

The middle of the bit of cord is tied to the top of the chute, and to begin with the cord goes up from the base of one tree, across to the other tree by way of dangling near the ground under the weight of the 'chute in the middle. Then I just haul on the two ends of the cord to get the 'chute up in the air and wing it from there.

... is there a reason for the slit?

Access, as you've seen, although I usually hang the chute a lot higher than would make that an issue.

Ventilation. You'd be surprised how big a fire you can have under a nylon 'chute without damaging it, but if you have a big fire the small hole in the top of a 'chute isn't really enough to let all the smoke out especially if the wind is blustery and the 'chute is flapping a lot.

It was like that when I got it. :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Adjusting the pitching angle makes a big difference to how the 'chute will cope with weather. We generly decide on an angle and a height by pegging the line that's farthest from the tree trunk - then working round in both directions keeping the angle even until we meet round at the tree.
The excess panel lines can just be bunched together although it's neater if they are folded to create a section where the chute is three layers thick.(Fold it so the prevailing wind will flow over the area rather than catch in the fold and puff it up.
If you have the chute dropped right to the ground you can use the excess panels to form your doorway. Just prop them up with sticks.

Good pegs are half the trick. We use ten mill roundbar over a foot long(Cheers again Warthog :) ) and sink them as far as they'll go. When the wind picks up at night and the 'chute starts flapping it's nice to know it's not going anywhere, It's a fair old sail your putting up and the forces can be substantial.
You can of course whittle pegs on site but bear in mind you'll have thirty-odd to do - can take a while.

A couple of pics(courtesy of Stuart).

The usual setup, expecting rain. Pitched at 45 degrees or thereabouts.

P1010619.jpg

Pitched a little steeper and lower, expecting snow and chilly breezes.

P1010903.jpg

Another setup that we've toyed with but haven't tried yet is folding the whole thing in half, bringing it right down to the ground and making a half conical double skinned lean-to with the opening facing downwind. That'd be for high winds and heavy rain while allowing smoke to clear.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Setup like a tent give you space for 6-8 folding chairs so much warmer than when the chute is raised above ground, you can sleep using big cot beds 5 people. I'll post some pictures next month of the polytarp flysheet in use with it.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Cheers! I'm avidly reading all posts, rapidly coming to the conclusion I should have asked for longer cords on the chute rather than 12" ones!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE