Parachute fabric advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Toddy, where did you get it and how much?

I got the hammock sorted by the way, I reclycled an old parasilk hammock that was really narrow, opened it out so that it was two panels wide and tied it thai hammock stylee. I wouldn't mind one for a shelter though!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
spamel said:
Toddy, where did you get it and how much?

I got the hammock sorted by the way, I reclycled an old parasilk hammock that was really narrow, opened it out so that it was two panels wide and tied it thai hammock stylee. I wouldn't mind one for a shelter though!!

:D Friend of a friend, £20 :D Yeh, that's a Cheesy Grin!
I was wondering about the hammock and the amount of fabric in the parachute.
I think that normally the 'chutes cost about £30; I'll ask if they're available.

It's in excellent condition and that's why I wondered about the tipi idea. No idea how to set it up; wondered about a defunct telegraph pole :confused: , then thought about maybe eleven thinner poles since there are 22 panels in the parachute and find someway of tying the 'ring' to them. A yurt has a central ring, called the eye of heaven, that provides a stable fixing for all of the poles, maybe that could be created. Could line it with the stuff that bullet proof vests are made from (can't recall the name just now) to provide a safe flue exit from a stove.

HWMBLT just shook his head and poured another coffee :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy said:
:D Friend of a friend, £20 :D Yeh, that's a Cheesy Grin!
I was wondering about the hammock and the amount of fabric in the parachute.
I think that normally the 'chutes cost about £30; I'll ask if they're available.

It's in excellent condition and that's why I wondered about the tipi idea. No idea how to set it up; wondered about a defunct telegraph pole :confused: , then thought about maybe eleven thinner poles since there are 22 panels in the parachute and find someway of tying the 'ring' to them. A yurt has a central ring, called the eye of heaven, that provides a stable fixing for all of the poles, maybe that could be created. Could line it with the stuff that bullet proof vests are made from (can't recall the name just now) to provide a safe flue exit from a stove.

HWMBLT just shook his head and poured another coffee :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy
What about using a telescopic fishing pole as a centre pole and stitching some loops for peg elastics round the edge of the parachute?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been searching for an old thread where somebody posted pictures of their 'chute put up. I can't find it, but I'll try to describe it as I remember it.

It was tied up at the centre from an overhanging branch and simply pegged out around its circumference, but instead of pegging it straight down all the way round, a section at the front had long lines so that the front was more open. I believe a forked stick was the used to push the entrance up. It was pegged directly to the ground around the rest of the 'chute, which I suppose stops a draught blowing through. I say experiment and have fun doing so.

I'm coming back to the UK in a week or so, so I'll keep an eye out in the surplus stores whilst I'm over!

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean about the ring, but if you mean the top centre of the 'chute, then maybe you could tie in lengths of paracord to create a 'spiders web' and the centre could hold a simple wooden ring from a curtain rail. All you need then is a long straightish wooden pole that can be sourced in most woodland areas, or as I say, tie it from an overhanging branch. If you wanted a long pole that you could use whenever, try looking in a caravan shop for the awning poles. You can get ones that are telescopic, they are rather heavy, but if you are driving and pitching it shouldn't be a problem.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Toddy...wondered about a defunct telegraph pole :confused: said:
Toddy,
Old telegraph poles are very heavy and ooze oil/tar in hot weather, not to mention filthy to handle, (I cadged some recently as gate posts, they're from 1958 and still dripping tar :eek: ). The scout style "pioneering poles" might be better, certainly lighter being pine. A tripod of poles (say 6 foot circle-ish) around the central stove could even serve as a safety barrier inside the tipi to stop folks burning themselves.

That'll be kevlar for the flue exit ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
zackerty said:
Spamel... :)
I had a 6 gore set up on British Blades...is that what you might be remembering?
Probably about January this year?

Possibly, I've looked but can't find it. I found this site whilst I was on Amazon that may be of interest to people, the reason I posted it here though is because if you go to Bushcraft, it opens another page and there is a picture of a parachte put up. Hope this helps!

Hi Toddy

You could line the opening with an asbestos fire blanket( like they have in kitchens)
They sell them at screwfix under workplace safety for about 13 quid.

As for a centre pole you could use a 4*4 post with the edges rounded over (12 foot or more) or even a couple of 4 inch waste pipes coupled together.

Hope that is of help :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE