Panasonic Lumix GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 and 45-200mm f/4.5-5.6 lenses.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have had this camera for some time, purchasing it as a replacement for my Nikon D3 with a load of pro lenses and accessories. At the time, it was the only small camera capable of the creative control I wanted and image quality I needed. Even the newer GF models lack as much control with dedicated buttons and dials, making the user delve into menus.

The 20mm f/1.7 lens is AMAZING and has been on the camera most of the time. It takes wonderful photos! The 45-200 has rarely been used but the stabilisation makes it very useful if wildlife or sport is your thing.

The camera body and 20mm lens come in the kit box and the 45-200 has its own box. Both lenses and all caps and covers are present, as is the original charger and both lens bags.

There are marks from use, small scuffs. Bit everything works perfectly and all the glass is completely unmarked, as is the sensor.

The only reason I’m selling is because I have moved back to a DSLR again – Though I’m still not 100% sure it’s a good move.

I’d like £150 including postage within the mainland UK.

Panasonic Lumix GF1

Full specs and very detailed review can be found here:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicgf1

Overall conclusion from the same site:

Reviewing cameras day in day out (in my case for well over a decade) whilst retaining at least some of the love of photography that got us here in the first place can be quite a challenge, and a good measure of how much we've engaged with - enjoyed - a particular model is the number of gallery shots we've taken with it in the month or so that each review takes.

In the case of the GF1 I think I set a new personal record, shooting well over 3000 pictures, way above the 800-1200 or so we'd normally consider to be more than enough to get under the skin of a camera. I'm not saying they were all winning shots, just that the GF1 is a camera that simply cries out to be used and, for this occasionally jaded user at least, puts the fun back into photography. Another clue as to how much we liked the GF1 is that people in the office have actually been shelling out their own money to buy them, something almost unheard of in an office with cupboards full of all the latest cameras.
To be honest, with the kit zoom attached the GF1 makes little sense (the Olympus collapsible lens is a lot more in keeping with the camera body size); it's only a little more pocketable than the G1 (which - movies aside - is a considerably more practical camera). But once you attach the wonderful 20mm F1.7 pancake it becomes something special; an unobtrusive creative tool that you can carry anywhere, and one that's capable of superb photographic results.

When I started using the GF1 I didn't think I'd use the 20mm F1.7 that much (too many years using zooms), but once attached I rarely took it off. The 40mm equivalent focal length is both restrictive and yet surprisingly liberating from a creative point of view, and took me back to my earliest days of photography using a Pentax Spotmatic with a single 50mm lens. And you can stick it on a wrist strap and basically carry it with you wherever you go.

Inevitably the GF1 will be compared to the Olympus E-P1 (which, it has to be said, has much the same appeal), and, as covered in this review, there's no clear winner. The E-P1 has undeniably cute retro styling, overall has the edge in JPEG image quality, offers in-body stabilization and can autofocus pretty much any Four Thirds lens (albeit very slowly). But for us the GF1's more reliable metering and AF systems, superb lens quality, focus speed, optional electronic viewfinder and built-in flash swing it. User interface and handling is a pretty personal thing; we preferred elements of the Olympus system (the control panel, for one), but we found the GF1 more logical (and far less prone to accidental settings changes - the curse of all small-bodied cameras).

Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH

Specs and review can be found here:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/lenses/panasonic_20_1p7

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS

Specs and review can be found here:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/lenses/panasonic_45-200_4-5p6_ois

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE