Pajamas

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Has this been discussed recently?

Prompted by the Naturism thread:

Do you change to go to sleep when camping?

I prefer to do so and normally sleep in a full base layer. (it’s not tight!) A Californian friend refers to this as “sleeping in invisible Pajamas” as you can get up and start breakfast without changing into daywear until you are ready.

I’m normally completely on my own when I camp but I do the same at communal camp sites. Should I ever need to de-camp quickly I may or may not pull trousers over my leggings and sort myself out further down the road.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Depends on the temperature and weather in general for me.

Tend to sleep in a merino wool base layer on top and boxer shorts unless it’s very cold, in which case merino wool bottoms as well. Sometimes socks, as long as they’re not too tight around the ankles.

If I’m worried I may need to get out of dodge in the middle of the night, I may keep my trousers on as well as long as they’re not too wet or muddy.

Reactions: Ozmundo and Pattree

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Depends. Family camping, usually in the camper, I strip off to my underwear and get into the bag. After everyone else has gone upstairs to bed of course so it is only the sleeping dog lying downstairs to see me change for bed. That dog is usually asleep by then anyway.

When I used to do a bit of wildcamping, I used to get into bed in my day clothes so they were warm the next morning. Also, meant I could cope better with less insulation in the bag for a more compact kit as I wore more clothes. If they were wet I stripped off to underwear and got into the wet clothes the next day ot dry them off by wearing them. That is why I do not weat merino as they take longer to dry by wearing IMHO and hold on to water more.

It has been known on a cold evening that I got into bed cold with my synthetic outer smock on to warm up. I would have a last brew and hopefully have had my last toilet break by then. I would also eat plain peanuts (not roasted or salted) as they provide slow burn energy to keep you warm overnight. Seriously I wake up cold if I did not eat them. After getting warm I take the synthetic insulation layer off. Unless I have fallen asleep in my toasty state.

If i do strip off on a wild camp I just know that I will have an issue that requires me to get up in the night. I have a number of times had to find my windwhipped away pegs and lash my tarp down to a more windshedding pitch style when an unforecast storm came in sending one corner of my tarp flapping freely. It is usually rather windy and heavy rain when I have to sort that issue out. I am then glad I am half naked as I quickly dry off under the tarp and get in. Wet bed clothes stay wet and you then have to take them off. Better to be half naked or fully for a dark night emergency. That includes one of those old man wees you need. You know, you thought yhou had stopped drinking early enough and had gone for a last pee just before you went to be, But the wee fairy sees the weather coming in and lays in wait untill it is lashing with rain and makes you desparate again in the middle of the night when it is the coldest, darkest and wettest!!

All this might just be me but often in all the tales on a thread like this you do see a little bit of yourself in what others type out in honesty!!

Flecktarnmann

Sep 14, 2024
Germany
I use the clothing I wore during the day (minus my pants), especially if it is wet, so that it can dry overnight. Socks I take off and stuff in my pockets or if they're wet I use them as "gloves" so they can also dry overnight.

In the winter I SOMETIMES use thin jogging pants from Decathlon instead of sleeping with my bare legs.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
In colder conditions I wear a set of old Polypro army top and bottoms. I won’t be upset if they get filthy when fall in a stream during shovel recce.

I have a pertex zoot suit as pj’s. Very slidy so easy to wriggle about in my kip bag.

I have noticed I pick up speed more quickly when glissading down mountains if the outer layer is pertex. May or may not be an upside depending on your preference!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE